Engine wiring harness /6->440 cid

-

PPRCuda

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for new engine wiring harness. 1971 Duster, engine swap /6->440 cid. What is the best harness for my purposes and from where to buy it?

Thanks! Pepe

PS. I'm gonna us my (historical) MSD 7AL ingition.

Attachments

• dusterl6440.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 281
That /6 harness will work fine. The /6 harness has enough extra wire for BB's. The small block harness does not.

Got mine from Evans Wiring. Called and had them make the coil wires longer so I could mount the coil on the inner fender. Everything hooked up as if the engine were original. Good price as well. He has other harnesses .

Kenny B

I just adjust the length of the wires as needed and solder and heat shrink the connections.

Do you have the slant wiring? If so just unwrap it, lay it out on the motor, and put the wires where they go.. shorten the one's that need shorter, lengthen the one's that need longer..

Might want to think about some upgrades while you're going through the under hood wiring..

Factory style electronic ignition if you want it

Internally regulated alternator (eliminates the firewall mounted voltage regulator, and the factory charge wire going to the amp gauge)

Bypass the Amp gauge (simply cut and join the wires on the back of it together for the most part)

Relay the head lights to pull power straight from the battery

Few pics of my fun with the slant six harness - I added all of the above to mine!

I shortened the oil psi sender wire 20" or so, bought a new electronic ignition harness so I ended up shortening the dist plug 10" or so , shortened the coolant temp wire 15" or so, shortened or eliminated the stock alternator wires, and cut the alternator charge wire coming from the alt on each side of the bulkhead connector (connecting the 2 coming off the amp gauge so the car still had power)

Mock up

All the junk I cut out!

Headlight relay before being wrapped up

all installed and wrapped! (alternator is a 80's Toyota that was modded to 120amp output - ran my own 4ga charge wire, wired into the factory harness with a pigtail from eBay)

AS others have said.... The /6 wires work, it's what the factory used on 383 cars as long as the year is the same 67-67, 68-68 for wires ETC. 67 for example has the horn relay on the rad cradle so doesn't fit quite rite on 69. All this is good as long as your wiring is in nice shape, if not open it up and repair it...easy! Lay it all out in the engine bay and you will see most if not all connection are in reach.
But if the wires are totally useless as you say....aftermarket or find a /6 parts car and dig in! :)
Good luck....

I am using the factory 6 cyl wiring in my duster, and am in the middle of the electronic conversion, very simple no issues at all. Also using all factory gauge connections as well as aftermarket mechanical. Nice to have an in dash oil pressure lite to grab your attention. Using a 50 amp alt, the stock 6 wiring connects, dual field terminals, and the main charge wire.

AS others have said.... The /6 wires work, it's what the factory used on 383 cars as long as the year is the same 67-67, 68-68 for wires ETC. 67 for example has the horn relay on the rad cradle so doesn't fit quite rite on 69. All this is good as long as your wiring is in nice shape, if not open it up and repair it...easy! Lay it all out in the engine bay and you will see most if not all connection are in reach.
But if the wires are totally useless as you say....aftermarket or find a /6 parts car and dig in! :)
Good luck....

They are useless. I bought new wires from Ewans yesterday. Actually all new wiring except under dash harness.

-
Back