engine wiring

-

edward9egan

Reaction score
ok so i just picked up a 73 dart with a 383 4 speed. it has been sitting for a couple years with out running. there is a little wiring in the engine. looks like just the ignition box and starter relay. im just trying to think of everything im gonna need to get it running trying to find some diagrams to help out. any input would be good im not an electrical guy. thanks

Attachments

• 00r0r_dYXYu1CGQHo_50x50c.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 219
  • 00L0L_lXWoy8AO2OC_600x450.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 233
  • 00r0r_dYXYu1CGQHo_600x450.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 229
Hi,

I would go over to mymopar.com and look around the technical information section and download a wiring diagram for your car. The ignition system is a standard Mopar Orange box. I'm not sure what the pile of wiring is on the fender well by the battery tray, the picture isn't clear enough. Could you post a close up of that area?

I see a lot of things in your photos that have been disconnected or missing, no belts or heater hoses. Since the car is new to you and you may not have any history on it, I would think you may be starting from scratch with it. The first thing I would do is pull the spark plugs out and try to turn the engine over by hand with a 1-1/4" socket on a 1/2 " breaker bar and maybe a piece of pipe applied to the balancer bolt on the front of the crankshaft. You want to know if the engine is free after sitting for a length of time.

There is really not a lot of wireing to the engine. It needs power and ground to the ignition module and make the starter work . after that there is a tem sender oil pressure sensor and wireing to alternator. Might have a power wire to the choke. Used to run my 318 when it was setting on floor of my barn.

In 1973, you have 3 connectors: engine, lights, wiper and 3 matching harnesses. There is a little overlap, mostly they re-purposed a few cavities in the wiper connector. Check a wiring diagram. Perhaps the 383 was not original, so they had to relocate the spark box (distributor & coil on front in BB/RB engine), which explains the clutter on the driver's inner fender.

-
Back