EngineQuest (EQ) heads available again?

-

DrEamer

I suffer from cars on the brain!
Reaction score
It seem that these were discontinued some time ago, but I am finding them again listed by EQ in Las Vegas. They sell them though their eBay store, including the LA intake bolt pattern on a Magnum version. I thought I would include the links to what I found if it will help someone looking for them. I would normally look into this deeper for myself, but ended up going a different direction when these were not available at the time.

Chrysler Magnum | EQ Cores & Recycling

https://www.ebay.com/str/EngineQuest?_bkw=magnum

These are the China castings, not the down under ones in the magazines. Also I noted in some eBay listings that the seller states that these are not the earlier, New Zealand mfg. performance heads.

Last edited:
I see where they say engine Quest but they dont look like the set I have. that said new magnum heads with the LA pattern is a good thing.

Between my son and me we have bought 3sets of EQs. None recently. The 1st set was fantastic. The next 2 sets were nightmares. After putting them on out of the box they had to come off and go to the machine shop.the set I bought for my wife's durango was set#2 in the progression of 3 sets, bought in '16 and was the worst. On a fresh 360 mag, with less than 6 miles stuck and bent a valve, machine shop said all were so tight they had to be driven out with a hammer and punch. The set my son bought for his ramcharger was the opposite, passed lots of oil thru the guides. All bought direct from EQ.
The 1st set went on a 318 in an 83 D 250 And the results there were fantastic, and led us to buy the next 2 sets.idk if I want any more eq heads.

I..........am..........not........surprised..........
We were both surprised and pissed.
One difference in the 3 sets of heads?
Set number 1, bought around 2010 was bought bare and I picked thru the best of 3sets of cracked OE Magnum heads' worth of valves and springs, touched them up on a valve grinder and assembled them myself. That truck is still running.
Sets 2 and 3 were bought assembled and dropped onto the respective engines as-removed from the boxes. Sets 1 and 2 are LA intake manifold bolt pattern, set 3 is magnum intake bolt pattern.
The truck with set 1 is now owned by my cousin, set 2 after a machine shop redo is on my son's carbd 408 in the ramcharger, set 3 after a machine shop redo is on its 2nd short block in my wife's durango. I pulled that engine, bought another (this one used) from CL had the EQ heads redone and I put them on the used engine and into the durango. The rebuilt short block is again on a stand in my garage, awaiting a re-rebuild.

From the Hughes site:

The High Performance EQ Heads (also known as the Iron Ram or "CH318B" heads) have not been available since about September 2019. Beware when buying the "CH318B replacement heads". They are very durable but NOT A PERFORMANCE HEAD! Don't be mis-led.

-
Back