Enlargening the Eyelet Mount for Leaf Springs...

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
For my 70 Duster with the small eyelet mounts, I have the larger size leaf springs with the larger eyelet holes. I'm not sure what bushings I need to mount them with and exactly how I am supposed to make the holes in the eyelet mounts bigger... I assume I could take them off and take them to a machine shop, but then I don't know what size they need to be. I could probably order a larger bolt, which I assume it would need too, but I don't know what bolt that would be either, dia.

I ordered them because they have a 2-1/2" lift and 6 springs if I remember correctly. My old ones are old, lol. Plus I can use normal shocks with them rather than air shocks. I had a mount kit but someone I had working on the car took them. We parted on unfriendly terms.

If there is anything else I need to know please let me know.

Here is what I did on the last set that I opened up. I cut a 2x4 to fit inside of the hanger, chucked it up in my drill press vise & slowly drilled through the top hole, through the 2x4 & out the other side. Be sure to wedge the wood in so it doesn't try to spin on you. Take your time drilling through so the bit doesn't try to wander when drilling through the wood spacer to the other side.

The bolt size you want is 5/8”. You need to buy grade 8, along with the nuts. 5/8”x 4”. 4 1/4” would be better if you can find them I’ve bought them at Lowe’s. I would remove the spring hangers an drill them. I use a drill press.

If my memory serves, that 5/8 bolt was fine thread from the factory.

You can order either a 4'' or 4 1/2 inch long from boltdepot.com
Ted

Thanks Guys,

That is what I was asking, what dia the hole needed to be. I have a drill press, plan to use a 2x4 to stabilize it.

If I remember right, the bolt mounts inside the spring hanger and the fame. The bolt can't come out, so if all I can find is a course I will use that, though I use the fine if I can find it with medium thread lock.

Thanks!

PS... I contacted Springs-N-Things, or Springs And Things, can't remember which one is which, but they had the bushing kits, and bolts for mounting. Shweew. They also had my order for the springs when I bought them and I thought that was nice, was a good year or two ago.

These springs have a 2-1/2 inch lift that the small leaf springs didn't have.

How are you going to do the shackle bushings?

-
Back