Enough trans fluid inc oil cooler?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Just fitted a rebuilt 727 with an external oil cooler (in front of the rad), I put 6 quarts in, but i wonder if that is sufficient. The car is not yet stret legal, so its only be used up and down my drive, but i've noticed that it can be hesitant before going into reverse gear.
Just wondering if i should add more fluid?

Whats the dipstick say, If you can't check it hot (correct way) it should be just below the add mark (1/4") with the tranny cold, level, and idling in neutral.

"check idling hot in neutral". Dip stick measurement is still used with add-on cooler.

Assuming there's a dipstick in the tranny. Check fluid level with car running and in neutral.

Set parking brake to be safe.....Good Luck

Guys, its just at the 'add oil part of the dipstick', tricky to figure whether its good to go when I can't road test it just yet!
I just wondered whether it would need more oil due to the oil cooler.

After you start the car, the trans pump will fill up the cooler and then your level on the dipstick will drop. After the cooler is filled up, you fill trans up to the proper mark on the stick and you should be fine.

Anyone know off the top of their head what the capacity of a 727 and convertor is? Just put my Demon together and want enough fluid in the tranny for the engine break in to fill the convertor, cooling lines and auxiliary cooler without completely draining the pan after the car is started.

-
Back