Eq heads from imm or eddy heads

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Im getting a new set of heads and just wanted a little input. They are going on a nicely built 360 and car will see lots of street miles as well 1/8 mile mile on weekends. What heads should I get I know there are benefits of both and negative as well. everyone says the eddy heads will need checked out by shop and I have no problem with that. I read on IMM site his flow better then eddy heads I think 271 at .550 lift and im sure that's all I will need for my goals and plus Im sure his will be ready to bolt on. I know eddy heads will save some weight and can run a little higher compression. The price is about the same if I buy through autozone with the discount code. Which way to go

The IMM will probably be ready to run, flow a little better and look a bit more stock. The eddy a will be lighter, able to repair if something happens most likely. But you may have to change the springs depending on cam. If your not caring about the weight I think a call to IMM might be the best bet he can tailor the heads somewhat to your cam and goals, he also has a CNC program for the heads to up the flow if needed

I have the EQ heads from IMM and so far so good!! I haven't put too many miles on my Duster, but drivability has been great on the street! Once I get more work done on the rest of the car, we'll see how she does on the L.A. freeways.

clint,eddys will be better if you have plans to go faster in the future

It will remain a street car and I only wanna go so fast. I'm not willing to put a cage it anytime soon. To much fun on street . I bet the numbers would be close on a all out ported eddy head vs his. If I get his heads they should put my car into the 7 sec range in the 1/8 mile I'd be happy

look at cost also.how much for ported imm heads?i looked at both heads also, and went with the eddys.both are great heads and you cant go wrong with either one.

Brian claims the iron heads have had almost no issues with cracking, etc. "All things" being equal, iron heads 'should' outlast Al for wear / beating / durability in the long run. I haven't got mine on and running yet, but what I've seen so far is a positive for Imm

Brian claims the iron heads have had almost no issues with cracking, etc. "All things" being equal, iron heads 'should' outlast Al for wear / beating / durability in the long run. I haven't got mine on and running yet, but what I've seen so far is a positive for Imm
All iron heads are prone to cracking when they get hot, especially heads built following the switch to unleaded. Aluminum heads warp instead. The majority of the Magnum trucks were the new bodies with newer radiators- the kind that frequently split and leak with under 100,000 miles on the vehicle. The replacement parts store radiators for the old style from my experience have even been worse than the newer OE radiators which aren't good.

The only reason I'd worry about weight is if you're planning on taking them off or putting them on. I think there's far better ways to shave 50lbs off a car and little reason if you're not looking to race... Now compression? Valid reason- if you run reasonably high CR or a "moderate" compression with a very mild cam there's distinct advantages to going aluminum.

I went with IMM RHS heads because the flows were better and the cost was less than the Eddys. Besides, small blocks are light. The iron heads aren't that heavy, not like big block heads are. Brian did an awesome job on them. Putting the engine in the car now, hope to be on the track soon, weather permitting.

I went with IMM RHS heads because the flows were better and the cost was less than the Eddys. Besides, small blocks are light. The iron heads aren't that heavy, not like big block heads are. Brian did an awesome job on them. Putting the engine in the car now, hope to be on the track soon, weather permitting.

update us would be nice to see someone actually drag racing them

On a Magnum or LA block? I have the EQ heads on an LA. I went that way because they flow just as good as RHS, have higher port velocity, and it inherently has higher valve lift due to the 1.6:1 ratio rocker arms that are standard on Magnum heads. The cost might be a little less too, or about the same.

On a Magnum or LA block? I have the EQ heads on an LA. I went that way because they flow just as good as RHS, have higher port velocity, and it inherently has higher valve lift due to the 1.6:1 ratio rocker arms that are standard on Magnum heads. The cost might be a little less too, or about the same.

I running the LA versions on a roller LA block. I am also switching to hydraulic roller cam from comp with Hughes 1.6 rockers. Brian at IMM ported the pinch area of the pushrods and opened the combustion chamber up to 65cc so I can keep using pump gas, the new compression is 10.3 with flat top pistons. My old setup with stock unmodified 340 heads probably flowed around 220 cfm and made the be compression of 9:1. These heads should flow around 275 at .550 lift. The new cam/rocker combo lift will be .570/.555.

I running the LA versions on a roller LA block. I am also switching to hydraulic roller cam from comp with Hughes 1.6 rockers. Brian at IMM ported the pinch area of the pushrods and opened the combustion chamber up to 65cc so I can keep using pump gas, the new compression is 10.3 with flat top pistons. My old setup with stock unmodified 340 heads probably flowed around 220 cfm and made the be compression of 9:1. These heads should flow around 275 at .550 lift. The new cam/rocker combo lift will be .570/.555.

Nice! What specs will that cam have?

My indy/RHS, full CNC porting and a little local blending flowed [email protected] and [email protected], on a local guys bench. Good flow and "pretty good" velocity on the short turn.

Ran 11.66@119 before they were ported and a hundred thou less cam. No reason they shouldn't break into 10's since CNC'D and other upgrades. Unless my susp holds me back. Won't know for sure til may.

Im getting a new set of heads and just wanted a little input. They are going on a nicely built 360 and car will see lots of street miles as well 1/8 mile mile on weekends. What heads should I get I know there are benefits of both and negative as well. everyone says the eddy heads will need checked out by shop and I have no problem with that. I read on IMM site his flow better then eddy heads I think 271 at .550 lift and im sure that's all I will need for my goals and plus Im sure his will be ready to bolt on. I know eddy heads will save some weight and can run a little higher compression. The price is about the same if I buy through autozone with the discount code. Which way to go
I think you will be good for your use with either, and you have ti pretty well summarized. The 0.5 point higher CR is good for a bit of torque which is useful on the street. Do you have a cam in mind?

BTW, if you get the Edelbrocks, and the shop that checks them has a Serdi valve machine, then it is a quick job to just open up the intake ports right below the valve seats as part of the checking, and gain most or all of that flow difference back versus the IMM heads. We spent all of $110 on the checks AND the Serdi work here at a good shop. (But our shop rates seem to be lower than average, so that cost may vary.)

Another Option? ProComp heads set up by MRL. He carries them bare and will build them to your needs. Porting is also an option. It's worth the call.

I think you will be good for your use with either, and you have ti pretty well summarized. The 0.5 point higher CR is good for a bit of torque which is useful on the street. Do you have a cam in mind?

BTW, if you get the Edelbrocks, and the shop that checks them has a Serdi valve machine, then it is a quick job to just open up the intake ports right below the valve seats as part of the checking, and gain most or all of that flow difference back versus the IMM heads. We spent all of $110 on the checks AND the Serdi work here at a good shop. (But our shop rates seem to be lower than average, so that cost may vary.)

Exactly, it doesn't take much to make them equal flow wise and then the eddys have a weight advantage along with the ability to handle more compression.

Both are good choices, it depends on your needs, wants, budget and goals. I have read where Brian states the eddys have more potential flow wise when reworked.

Both heads are good choices if you ask me. They both get the job done and I would run either one.

It all depends on your goals, Brian has stated that fully ported Edelbrocks are worth 30-40hp over fully ported EQs.

Another Option? ProComp heads set up by MRL. He carries them bare and will build them to your needs. Porting is also an option. It's worth the call.

This is what I would do, if I could go back in time. For what I spent on my indy/RHS I coulda had a pair of Mikes, ready to run. If only I knew...

It all depends on your goals, Brian has stated that fully ported Edelbrocks are worth 30-40hp over fully ported EQs.

No kidding!!!

Not worth squat in hp over an RHS head at 475ish. If over 550hp is the goal, then the choice is easy along with the $$$ to go with it. Under that, there are a bunch of choices. Aluminum is NOT always the best approach. I hate the chunk of aluminum look, your mileage may vary... LOL

Dusty_383 has his IMM RHS heads for sale that were ported by Brian and matching intake and rockers for sale. Hughes Valve covers, Hughes rockers, Ported air gap intake, IMM RHS heads ported. I should mention his heads flowed at 296 at 500-550

-
Back