EQ Iron Ram vs Edelbrock Performer

-
It's 505$ difference minus whatever Hughes charges for shipping.

There are more advantages to aluminum heads beyond weight.

They are repairable, allow higher compression ratio, easier to port, often come with variable CC chamber offerings, improved design, plug angle, etc.

As said by many here including reputable builders, unless you have a useable set or your race class/body requires the use of iron, go aluminum.

They are repairable, allow higher compression ratio, easier to port, often come with variable CC chamber offerings, improved design, plug angle, etc.

As said by many here including reputable builders, unless you have a useable set or your race class/body requires the use of iron, go aluminum.
OMG!!! Stop it! Your making sense!!!!

LMAO

AGREE 1000%...

Only repairable if you can find someone that can repair the aluminum. Usually they get scrapped because it' very hard to find someone to actually fix them. Most places will not touch an aluminum head to repair.

Cast iron has more potential to make more horsepower and last a very long time. But it' always arguable.

The compression ratio being higher is a useless argument. You have to increase the compression in aluminum to make the same power as a cast iron head. Due to thermal efficiencies.

Only repairable if you can find someone that can repair the aluminum. Usually they get scrapped because it' very hard to find someone to actually fix them. Most places will not touch an aluminum head to repair.
That’s a shame to hear that. Not really an issue here. But there are limits and costs to consider depending....
Cast iron has more potential to make more horsepower and last a very long time. But it' always arguable.
This has been proven wrong.
The compression ratio being higher is a useless argument. You have to increase the compression in aluminum to make the same power as a cast iron head. Due to thermal efficiencies.
I think This is also has been disproven.

Iron heads are used for "door stops" around here:D:D
That's because you are handicapped and never had to use iron.
Depends on your performance desires and wallet, the Edelbrock would need to be checked out, but has much more performance potential.

That's because you are handicapped and never had to use iron.
Depends on your performance desires and wallet, the Edelbrock would need to be checked out, but has much more performance potential.

No,thats because I have NO use for them..other then holding the garage door open:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My circle track class requires iron heads. They have their place.

You have to ask yourself why a racing class would require iron heads...

Aftermarket aluminum heads are designed specifically for performance. Besides weight, flow was obviously in mind. Buy 'em, bolt and go will results in immediate performance gain. Pay the price, easy performance upgrade :)
  • Don't ever mistake that for iron heads not performing. Seen enough aluminum headed cars totally annihilated by iron. No, not casting a vote for iron heads, just say'n it's a complete stupid remark and a 100% display of ignorance to say iron heads don't work.

Last edited:
The Eddy Magnum heads are advertised at 58cc combustion chambers, but they are more like 62 to 63cc, I had to have mine shaved .030 to get to 58cc
Out of the box the valve stem clearance is too tight and must be checked.
Aluminum heads allow you to run higher compression as a lot of the heat is quickly absorbed into the head, heat in the combustion chamber makes power, hence getting the combustion chambers ceramic coated.

Don't get me wrong, love my Eddies and would take them over iron heads any day, but I have lot of coin them.

Either head is a homerun for street performance. The aluminum gives you a slight edge with it being aluminum and if ported out to its maximum. At this rate the aluminum head is a winner for a more race oriented or actual race car.
But both are excellent.

Cost, correct?
A lot of spec classes try to keep it competitive rather than having the rich guys with the better equipment winning every week. Then again, the rich guys pay somebody $20k to build their motor and max out every limiting specification and end up with the best motors anyway.

So cubic money does not always win. In lesser engines, the higher horsepower also leads you to buying aftermarket block, rods, and crank to survive the increase in power. I like the iron heads for being bullet proof and more dimensionaly stable. You have to decide what cam you can tolerate, and work from there. Flow at what lift, etc then compare between the heads.

-
Back