EQ or magnum heads with Manifolds

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running EQ or factory Magnum heads with exhaust manifolds ? My motor has a set of worn guides (318) and I dont want to put money in to the stock 318 heads but I also dont want to run headers

Is it al LA motor? If it is your going to have to switch the manifold and convert to a roller came I do believe. LA style stock manifolds will bolt right up to a magnum head though with little or no modification

No its an LA block. The EQ heads are available drilled for LA intakes. Flat tappet cams fine, Just need oil through pushrods. I want to used LA exhaust manifolds, either my stock 318 pieces or 71-73 340 manifolds

The manifolds should bolt right up to the magnum heads, don't know about the EQ heads though, I'd think they would as well. I don't know about performance but I'd get the best flowing manifolds you could and it wouldn't be too bad, never done it though.

Heres why Im asking. This is a picture from another members motor. Stock Magnum heads, 68-70 340 manifolds

If you decide to go with the EQ heads, I have a pair I'll let go rather cheap. No parts in them, but I can assemble them or you can.
As for your question, not sure but they should work.
Brian

Adam from the research i've on the eq head,you should have no problems bolting stock manifolds to them.

Ou812...if Adam isn't interested in your heads I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pm me.. I'll take em

If you decide to go with the EQ heads, I have a pair I'll let go rather cheap. No parts in them, but I can assemble them or you can.

As for your question, not sure but they should work.
Brian

Brian, are the Indy/RHS heads and EQ heads the same exhaust port wise.

Adam from the research i've on the eq head,you should have no problems bolting stock manifolds to them.

Ou812...if Adam isn't interested in your heads I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pm me.. I'll take em

Your welcome to them. It will be awhile before I can buy.

Hey Adam, That motor looks familier.
Those heads in the photo are EQ magnums on a 340 block. The 340/360 exhaust manifolds have a taller port than a 273/318 manifold. The 273/318 should bolt up with no leaks but will really restrict exhaust flow.

Thanks, Couldnt remember who's motor it was. Did you end up going to headers ?

No headers, it still has the manifolds on it.
If you look real close at the photos you can see the 16 gauge steal gasket I made to cover the bottom of the manifold port. I have to tighten them up a couple times a year, but no annoying leaks so far.
I giving up about 20 hp by using manifolds over headers, but it's worth it to me.

Brian, are the Indy/RHS heads and EQ heads the same exhaust port wise.

EQ are 2.02/1.65 64cc

RHS/indy are 1.79/67 62cc. These are their standard head. If you wanna upgrade well...sky's the limit...lol

-
Back