EQ's,Cam, and Rocker recommends.

-

Todlich

Reaction score
I'm looking into some EQ 318B heads for an upcoming junkyard 360 magnum swap,in my 72 Duster hopefully at the end of summer,beginning fall.I was wondering who people went thru to get the 318B fully assembled with 2.02? I've read bad reviews on Clearwater,AND Odessa,and some on Hughes.

It will be street driven most the time, and a track trip about once a month, twice if I can get the time to.

I'm looking at:----

Comp Cams XR274HR-10: 224/230@50 538/534" (recommendations otherwise?)
Rockers stock for cost (recommendations)
HOLLEY 750 dp Vac Sec (owned)
Edelbrock Airgap Rpm (owned)
Kevko Pan M302 (recommendation otherwise?)
TTI 1 5/8 -1 3/4" stepped headers (owned)
TTI 3" x-pipe (way big, but I own em)

904 -No idea what Converter to get (2500-2800?? Recommendations/PTC,Coan)
-CRT Street HP rebuild,TF-2,Thicker band strut, Rear billet servo,4.2 KD,MP Deep Pan
8 3/4" - 3.91:1 Suregrip (in car)
275/60-15 Nitto Drag Extreme 555 (28" Diameter)
SS 002/003 Springs (on car)
-MP P4529514 Drag Shocks
.850 Torsion bars (stock 318 non A/C,in car)
-Competition Engineering 3-way CEE 2620.
Edelbrock 1720 Fuel Pump (6-7psi,Recommendations..trying to keep mechanical)
3/8" fuel line through out,including pick-up /sender

non A/C car, with PS so assume approx 3200 lbs. wet.

I have heard nothing but bad feedback from the "machine shops" in my local area...the only one that everyone agreed on being a good shop,closed up last fall due to the owner passing on! :sad10:

I am going to recommend IMM/fabo member IQ 52,or fabo member RAMM here. They as well as MRL,do great work. The valve guide to spring retainer ,becomes a issue about .525-.530 lift with the stock 1.6 Magnum rocker.The extra 5 bones,is well worth it. Sounds like ,you are copying LX guys combo(a nice one..).Looks tiptop, otherwise.

I am going to recommend IMM/fabo member IQ 52,or fabo member RAMM here. They as well as MRL,do great work. The valve guide to spring retainer ,becomes a issue about .525-.530 lift with the stock 1.6 Magnum rocker.The extra 5 bones,is well worth it. Sounds like ,you are copying LX guys combo(a nice one..).Looks tiptop, otherwise.

Thanks Abodybomber,

Yep...trying to emulate LXguys engine...just cant beat it with the amount of 360 magnums around here in the yards.

I'll have to try IQ52,Brian @ IMM, and RAMM....Mike said he didn't deal with the magnum heads much, or EQ heads at all.
I did ask about my combo plan,it looked good,best to go with the 2.02,and toss the stock rockers. :)

After more research last night,looks like Crane Energizer Roller Rocker Arms 11746-(16) are the way to go,along with Comp Cams Guideplates 4825,Magnum Rocker Arm Studs 4504.
http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=295.0
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180777

I'am still unsure about the Torque Converter tho,after using the generic comp cams website app,with that cam,it claim I need a 3500+ stall, yet the cam info says 2200+ stall?

Also if I get the time, I found a yard with a 70/71 Duster with a manual Box and column I'll grab up,for some weight saving.

Torque converter custom,HELL Yes... ! CRT,Coan,others will suggest....Stock rockers,work on a basic build,most are.The stock rockers ,are stronger than you think. Those parts for rockers,,you are looking at: Useful for tuning preload....How much valvespring pressure? 120 on the seat,325-350 is safe on OEM rockers.

Thanks PoisonDart74, that helped out....I remember reading somewhere the TC should be 500-800 less then peak Torque...and its showing peak @ 4k.
The cam suggests 2200,that article suggests(my understanding) about 2500 or so because of the weight and cam @ 50 spec.

I'll have to call PTC or Coan when I get closer to sliding it into place.

I have those EQ heads with smaller valves on my 318 LA. I used the comp cams 1425-kit except the pushrods were the wrong length for the flat tappet cam. I used newer style comp beehive springs and retainers for an ls motor. I can get the number if you need. The springs that come loaded on the heads were barely better than stock magnum stuff. It's tricky to get lift with those short valves so I stuck with the comp xe268h. It works out to .512 lift and the retainers don't hit the valve seals. The rockers in the comp kit are just chevy 1.6 roller tip and they are stud mount. That whole kit is about 325 bucks. I used cometic .027 compressed thickness gaskets in an attempt to get my compression higher.

So far the car pulls well for how heavy it is and having too much carb on top. It really pull hard up too though. It seems to wanna keep pulling past 6100 rpm. I think it weighs 3600 lbs with me in it. Trans is a 904 and I have 4.10 rear gears and 26" tall tires. In 2 weeks I'm heading to Bremerton for its first track time with the new setup.

Oh I like the sound of your build. I can't wait to hear more. Please keep us posted.

Oh I like the sound of your build. I can't wait to hear more. Please keep us posted.

Will do when I can,but plans might change due to budgeting :/

Here's the link with my best ET and other findings. Also you can learn from some of the things I should have done even though I know better. Lol. I'm pretty impressed though. Pulls hard on the top end even with the cam choice. Lots of other good info from some of the other comments regarding tuning also.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=278995

I'll have to check that out Thank you 75DartSE. who did you go thru to get your Iron Rams?

I called Hughes last week and they said they've been out of 'em for months because of poor castings?!?

SO.....got ahold of IMM and going to try to get the EQ heads thru them,said they get the same flow numbers as their RHS LA/Mag-X so....
And would like to see 236@50 .580 lift 106 LSA, and put in some KB107 to raise comp because of my elevation of 4500'

Hey Todlich, I bought my heads direct from Engine Quest in Vegas. I can see the valve lift you are looking to use is a little higher than mine. I have .512. Mine was pushing it, the retainers get close to the seals. So you may need to talk to them and see what the options are. Maybe taller valves, or cut down the spring pocket a little lower. Might be just as well to buy the heads bare and piece them together yourself. I bought them loaded and ended up only using the valves, so it was a bit of a waste of money in the long run. My heads only had the standard size valves also, but they seem to work well. They really seem to like flowing up to about 6300 at least.

My pistons are basic .030 over cast replacement ones. They are about .060 in the hole. The best math I can figure puts me around 9.3:1, which I perfect for where wanna be right now.

-
Back