Erson cam specs??

-
I had no idea what was in my 340 so picked this Ultradyne solid mechanical cam up from a fellow A-Bodies Only member and was going to install it. (cam specs on Ultradyne 485" lift, 238 @ .050", 272 @ .020", 110 degree lobe separation).
You guys think I should make the swap or continue to run the Erson:dontknow:
My 1969 340 is mostly stock as far as I know but will also be getting an RPM intake, Holley 750 dp, Mopar electronic ignition, Hedman Headers with 2 1/2" Pypes exhaust and I am running a 4-speed. Heads have an 'O' by the spark plugs not an 'X' or 'J'

The Ultradyne is a much more aggressively ground cam, but it is also bigger at .050" so it might idle a little rougher (may not either, hard to say since the Erson cam has so much advertised duration). It may give up just a little torque at the bottom end but with a 4 spd I doubt it'd be a big deal unless your running tall gears. My guess is it'll also pull quite a bit more at the top end probably peak about 500 rpm higher than the Erson. Basically, the Ultradyne is the next size up and it's a solid cam. I'd run it over the lazier ramps on the Erson cam. I'm running a very similarly ground Racer Brown in my 408 and love it.

Ha! I just found a parts list of when I was building My 340 Duster in 1984 and on the list was a Erson cam 316 duration and was searching the net for more info, so thanks Buckshotbishop for posting. Once I saw the Hi Flow III, bells started going off. The cam had a good sound, but I was a little disappointed with the performance. I believe it was too much duration for the lift. I was a little timid at the track when I ran it since I drove 70 miles one way to get there. Basically a stock 70 340 Duster 4 speed, Holley 750 Vac, headers and a 4.10 gear L60-15 Pro Trac soft compounds. Lanched @ 3000 and shifted @ 5000. Best ET was 14.29 @ 99 MPH. Probably would've been quicker shifting @ 6000. I was bracket racing and just wanted consistency at the time. Later I swapped to an automatic and the cam definitely needs a 2800-3000 stall converter minimum.

I am going to use this in a 408, got 190lb closed, 510 open at .570" lift (lash already taken into account) hope these to be ok. Thoughts?

The spring pressure you have should work fine. Personally, the engine builder in me would like to see 220Lbs on the seat and 600 open. It will keep the lifters in contact with the lobes better at high rpm. But what you have for a street application or playing around will work just fine.
Thanks for your question
Russ

You reckon that cam profile will work ok in my 408? will be running Eddy heads, 2 quad 600 Edelbrocks on a D66 Eddy manifold with 11.2:1 comp?
Thanks

You reckon that cam profile will work ok in my 408? will be running Eddy heads, 2 quad 600 Edelbrocks on a D66 Eddy manifold with 11.2:1 comp?
Thanks

That cam's probably a little small for the twin four barrels. If you wanted to custom grind something I'd be glad to put you in contact with Eric Bolander, our technical consultant. If you PM me I can give you his contact information and he can help you to put together the best combination of profiles to make your engine as efficient for the most power for your application (efficiency makes power).
Thanks
Russ

If anyone has any Erson part number they need to know the specs on let us know. We'll be glad to assist you.

Hi ,I have a 1965 Plymouth with a 225 that PO had rebuilt in 2011 , the machine shop invoice has checked off install cam - looks like Erson RV10. Do you have the lash numbers for this cam , looking around on the internet I found erson rv10m lash .22 both intake and ex.

.022 is a good place to start... you can move up or down a few thousands if you like.

-
Back