Erson cam

-
I have an Erson cam that I love. 410" SB, 232/[email protected], 104 LSA ground 3 degrees advanced - .520 lift with Rhoads lifters. It idles choppy but smooths right out when cruising. My 67 Barracuda turned 12.35 and 107 at Las Vegas. I got 15 MPG driving down from Carson City. Im old 71 and broken so I am selling it. Just to hard to work on cars now.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 141
I have an Erson cam that I love. 410" SB, 232/[email protected], 104 LSA ground 3 degrees advanced - .520 lift with Rhoads lifters. It idles choppy but smooths right out when cruising. My 67 Barracuda turned 12.35 and 107 at Las Vegas. I got 15 MPG driving down from Carson City. Im old 71 and broken so I am selling it. Just to hard to work on cars now.

Gawd wish I had some $, like most of us now days!

Gawd wish I had some $, like most of us now days!

Seen and heard the car a few times. I used to live in Reno for 20 years. You just might sell it on here, awesome Notch Back, one of the best looking I ever seen:burnout:

Nothing wrong with the high lift cams, they make awesome power as long as the other equipment is right for the application of the cam. But they are still not designed for any kind of extended highway driving. Streetable in every respect but designed for high end horse power. My main point here is not to over cam (+stall converter +low gears, carburetor) a frequently driven vehicle with a camshaft that cant stay at sustained speeds required in usual driving standards. Erson did in fact make some killer high end horse power cams but also had a really nice baseline assortment of cams that were able to stay at sustained speeds and tow with awesome midrange to fair upper end power!

both of my solid rollers have seen countless highwaydrives more than an hour long each and idling at 800rpms for many hours at cruisenights with no problems,yes it costs money to have good valvetraincomponents and the mathcing drivetrain but its not all that bad,i just dont think we should measure a cams streetability by the lift alone.

time and development means that there is stuff out there that just would not have been doable 20years ago.

You should not expect a simple answer to any question relating to cam choice on a forum. Usually you end up more confused than when you started. If you trust the guy enough to build your engine, you should have enough faith in him to choose a cam.There may be some variables he is aware of that he is picking around (Guide to retainer, piston to valve, etc.). The cam he picked is not a really advanced profile, but it will probably meet your needs.and run pretty good for you. That being said if the clearances work, the Voodoo 404 would work great with your combo! (Sorry I couldn't help myself).

-
Back