ESPO leaf springs

-

FrozenCaveman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The next step in making my 71 /6 Scamp more roadworthy is to replace the rear springs. Based on price and forum reviews, I think I'm going with ESPO.

They have 5 leaf and 6 leaf HD springs. Price on the 5 leaf is about 30% cheaper, though the price on the 6 leaf is pretty darn good.

Question to the group is what difference in ride should I expect between the two, and given that I've got a /6, would the 6 leaf be overkill? Any pics of rides out there with stock height v. 1" lift? I assume you have better handling with no lift?

I'll be ordering all the mounting hardware from ESPO as well. I've been driving on the original springs (family car) for a while now, so anything will be an improvement.

Also, does anyone know the curb weight on a stock /6 71?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

The next step in making my 71 /6 Scamp more roadworthy is to replace the rear springs. Based on price and forum reviews, I think I'm going with ESPO.

They have 5 leaf and 6 leaf HD springs. Price on the 5 leaf is about 30% cheaper, though the price on the 6 leaf is pretty darn good.

Question to the group is what difference in ride should I expect between the two, and given that I've got a /6, would the 6 leaf be overkill? Any pics of rides out there with stock height v. 1" lift? I assume you have better handling with no lift?

I'll be ordering all the mounting hardware from ESPO as well. I've been driving on the original springs (family car) for a while now, so anything will be an improvement.

Also, does anyone know the curb weight on a stock /6 71?

Thanks!

My 68 came with what the seller said are ESPO SS springs. (They definitely are not SS clones though.) I'd have to go out tonight and count the leaves but the rear IS a little higher than stock. It looked OK when it had 255-60x15's in the back but not so good now with 215-60x15's on all four. I will say the ride was stiff. Too stiff for me until I swapped in .920 T-bars in the front and a sway bar. Now it feels balanced and I don't notice the stiffness so much. When I re-did the rear end I swapped in poly shackle bushings from Mancini to replace the worn-out rubber ones.

I would expect just swapping in stiffer springs in the rear w/o changing the front spring rate will have the same effect for you.

What are your plans for the car? If you want a better handling car don't go with a higher arch.

I have the Mancini lift springs on my duster, I am thinking of removing the 6th leaf to get the car a little lower, it has to much of the dragster look for me.

ESPO will give you a recommendation for a stock replacement if you call them. If you are leaving the car stock with the 6 I would go for the 5 leaf spring.

I can tell you according to the scrap yard scales my 70 /6 Dart weighs 3420 with me in it and a 1/8 tank of gas. So right around 3100 lbs. without the driver.

A 71 Dart should be close.

Thanks for the feedback/info - ESPO wasn't making a recommendation either way, other than saying the HD springs would be stiffer. For the time being, I'll keep the car stock with the /6, since it only has about 20k miles on it.

Based on this, I'll go with the $175 5-leaf springs (what a deal!) at stock height. I drive this car to work daily, and I like the smooth ride. Sounds like I'd be disappointed with the HD springs.

Thanks!

I bought the 5 leaf springs for my 66 and within a few years they sagged a bit. I had 6 leaves originally and wished I had bought them instead. tmm

i always buy the 6 leaf when i order them..

these all have their +1" springs...

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

I bought their 6-leaf springs for my dart. My only reasoning was that I had swapped out the slant for a smallblock V8. Got the +1 inch springs. Like the way it sits. But I wish I had gotten the 5-leaf. The 6's are a little stiff and make for kind of a bumpy ride.

I may make the switch when I get some cash.

The 6's are a little stiff and make for kind of a bumpy ride.

really? our cars with the 6 leaf ride great and they are using crappy kyb shocks. they are firm but no where near harsh...

You should be able to get the 5 leaf springs in +1" as well to allow for the future sag or get that slight lift look in the mean time.

One more question for the group. I lean towards "cheap", but should I replace the u-bolts and shackles with new ones? $16 for u-bolts and $44 for shackles+bushings. The old hardware has surface rust, but isn't pitted - it's definitely original stuff, tho, and has never been replaced.

From experience. I bought the 5 leaf for my dart sport two years ago and I wasn't happy with the ride height. Not any different than the worn out over 30 years springs I replaced. the rear still sets to low. If I had to do over again I would put the 6 leafs on to increase the ride height some. Over time they will settle down. I went on the cheap and later on and put a set of air shocks to get the height I wanted. Just wanted it level not raised. Just some thoughts on my experience. They are espo's.

What motor do you have in your dart sport? Assuming a 340 or 360, my Scamp has a /6 and had 5 leaf springs stock. Probably at least a couple hundred pounds lighter?

One more question for the group. I lean towards "cheap", but should I replace the u-bolts and shackles with new ones? $16 for u-bolts and $44 for shackles+bushings. The old hardware has surface rust, but isn't pitted - it's definitely original stuff, tho, and has never been replaced.

i would use new u-bolts definitely. shackles may be a good idea also.. i usually order both shackles and u-bolts just to make it easier not having to fight with anything. they are cheap enough. that way everything back there is new.

From experience. I bought the 5 leaf for my dart sport two years ago and I wasn't happy with the ride height. Not any different than the worn out over 30 years springs I replaced. the rear still sets to low. If I had to do over again I would put the 6 leafs on to increase the ride height some. Over time they will settle down. I went on the cheap and later on and put a set of air shocks to get the height I wanted. Just wanted it level not raised. Just some thoughts on my experience. They are espo's.

these cars sat pretty low stock. stock height will look kinda low with either 5 or 6 leaf springs.,

Sorry, new to some of this... Would the stock 71 /6 Scamp have a 7.25 rear end? I guess it matters for the u-bolts.

Got my new ESPO 5-leaf stock springs last week and installed them yesterday - I love them. Unfortunately, I didn't take a "before" pic, but measuring just in front of the rear wheel, it sits 2" higher than on the 42+ year old springs. :p

I will definitely do business with ESPO again. Thanks for the input, everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving!

-John

Attachments

• Scamp71_small.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 569
Looks good!

I bought my springs from ESPO too.

I would definitely buy from them again!

Yep it looks good! Now for some Cragars or Rally's. lol

Hmmm... Maybe I'd better hold off until I invest in a 340. ;)

Actually, I'm currently getting the rear bench upholstered, then the front will need to be redone. I also need some sheet metal repair below the rear window and eventually on the rear quarters. So money is currently tapped out. :/

Hmmm... Maybe I'd better hold off until I invest in a 340. ;)

Actually, I'm currently getting the rear bench upholstered, then the front will need to be redone. I also need some sheet metal repair below the rear window and eventually on the rear quarters. So money is currently tapped out. :/

Isn't it fun? I can't do mine all at once either. Keeps me interested. tmm

-
Back