Evaporust Users

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
I've tried using Evaporust on two occasions but have had both metal items turn black instead of a new clean metal look.

I've seen other members post parts they have used Evaporust on and they aren't black.

Does the temperature of the Evaporust do this to the metal? I have the part soaking in my garage near freezing temperatures.

What am I doing wrong?

Depends what kind of metal and what kind of rust/corrosion. Certain kinds it'll turn it to black oxide. You have then scrub it off after with something like a scotch-brite pad or wire wheel.

When using Evaporust make sure the parts are clean/degreased and let it soak for a day or 2.

I'm currently soaking the handle of a 6" Record vice, and previously I soaked an old Bergmann adjustable wrench.

Both are now black.

I will give Scotch Brite a try.

I have talked to them about that problem and they told me it's the carbon content that makes them turn black. Every thing I tried it on is high carbon and it's takes as much time to clean off the black as it does the rust. Just not worth it to me, I will just clean the rust.

How long did you soak it?

I try to check every hour. If you leave something in for too long it can get black.

Try a similar rusty part & check it after an hour.

Reevaluate & check again - often.

I notice some blackish areas when I first take a part out, but after I rinse it with warm water and let it dry they seem to vanish. If you maneuver thru my build thread I have some pics of my brake calipers and LCA’s that I evaporusted.

I have used Evaporust on many pieces. Key I found was washing with soap and water, and using a brush for a little scrub action. Then thorough blow dry with air hose.

20171219_183601.jpg
20171219_183924.jpg
20171219_184041.jpg
I didnt have any luck with that stuff either. 160F sounds like a good start. My evaporust is black already.....I have a small ultrasonic tank and will give it a 15 minute try. will report back.

Ok heated evaporated to 160 and put into ultrasonic cleaner. Dropped a slightly rusted socket as well as a degreased syteering coupler and shoes
20171219_205038.jpg
20171219_205046.jpg

This is what I got out after 15 minutes. Not even the light rust on the socket was gone...yeah, Im calling Bullshit on this...or mine expired.

Last edited:
I’ve used EvapoRust a bunch of times, works great. How long the soak takes depends on the part, I’ve soaked stuff overnight all the way up to a few days depending on how much rust there is. But that’s in a bucket not a parts washer.

It’s NOT a degreaser though. And if the part is really dirty and greasy, the evaporust doesn’t work well at all. It gets contaminated, and after that it’s pretty useless. It works for rust, not grease and dirt.

I’ve used EvapoRust a bunch of times, works great. How long the soak takes depends on the part, I’ve soaked stuff overnight all the way up to a few days depending on how much rust there is. But that’s in a bucket not a parts washer.

It’s NOT a degreaser though. And if the part is really dirty and greasy, the evaporust doesn’t work well at all. It gets contaminated, and after that it’s pretty useless. It works for rust, not grease and dirt.
I concur!
Used it several times. Clean your parts 1st!

-
Back