Ever collide with a deer?

-

MMRJR

Reaction score
Ever had to deal with the insurance company after hitting a deer?
Accident Diagram.jpg

Hit one this past February, had just gotten the car out of the body shop 2 weeks prior (someone hit my front left fender). 4 am on my way into work and BOOM, airbag goes off. Front left fender and grill were smashed but since the airbags went off they totaled the car. Saw the culprit the next day on the side of the road dead. Guess I won the fight.

3 wild hogs, 1 deer, 2 dogs and more coons and possums than I could count. Hit a deer with my airboat once. Had a coot (small duck-like bird) go through my airboat prop once. If you're wondering what that's like, drop a tomato in a blender. :eek:

Hit one this past February, had just gotten the car out of the body shop 2 weeks prior (someone hit my front left fender). 4 am on my way into work and BOOM, airbag goes off. Front left fender and grill were smashed but since the airbags went off they totaled the car. Saw the culprit the next day on the side of the road dead. Guess I won the fight.

I'd say that since they totaled the car, it's a draw.

You guys are talking about rabbits ! (Whitetail)
Take a run at one of these Muley bad boys !
Then you will know you hit something !

76D4EA9A-7810-4F27-9736-E6E43332810F.png

This is why I never opened up any of my sport bikes on Rt. 72 in the Jersey Pines on the way to the shore. 2+mile straightaways are tempting...but I wasn't that dumb.

My Monte Carlo was hit by 2 deer. Seriously. Both times I saw them coming, and stopped. Dead stop, and they still ran into the front of the car. Daylight no less.

I barely tagged a wee small doe about a year ago at 50mph. Which caused $9600 worth of damage, to an $8000car. Hyup they wrote it off.
I so loved that pos Honda Pilot; leather-heated seats, nav system, and Bose multi-speaker sub-woofered stereo too.
The deer I hit was nose to tail with the one ahead of it which just barely scootched by,but that second one got it in the azz. By the time I got stopped and backed up, there were no dear in sight, and no blood. Just a tiny patch of fur stuck on my car to verify my story. Well that and the rad spewing it's guts all over the hiway.
And there I was, 2 hours from home, and the light is fast failing.

My Bro in law is a cop in MN and once went on a call where a deer jumped thru the big side window on a trick van. Still alive and thrashing around.

Driving a large uhaul box truck at night i took out a decent size deer - doing 55/60 mph. It was on a slight turn and I decided - couldn't safely stop in time nor swerve to avoid. So I hit that sucker dead on. My buddy who was following in his 71 Newport ran over the deer

When we looked at the truck the next morning, we could not find any damage or anything. Clean kill. The Newport did not show any new damage either

Guess just lucky

I hit a deer on my KLR 650 one night on the way home from work. Stupid thing must have been trying to commit suicide, just jumped out of the ditch before I could do anything. I was slowing down to make a turn and had a six pack of beer between my legs, corona bottles in a sack. I hit it dead in the center but stayed up and came to a stop. My front fender was gone but otherwise the bike was OK. I looked down and somehow one of the beers somehow got out of the sack and stayed with me, all the rest was in a broken pile in the road. The next day I saw the deer in the ditch dead a little ways away from where it all happened. I was amazed at how many things went through my head in the fraction of a second between the time I saw the stupid deer and when I hit it, it was like time slowed down.

I've hit 16 deer over 35 years. Three different times with just one Ford Pinto wagon! Built FORD tough.

My Neon has hit so much crap, it should be in a magazine.

Never hit a deer yet
First thing I do when I spot one at nite is kill my headlights, even before I hit the brakes

Some people claim that doesn't do anything, and it may not, but there's a reason they call it a "deer in the headlights" look

Because of how a deers eyes are constructed bright lights actually tend to paralyze them.
So turning off the lights might actually work.

Because of how a deers eyes are constructed bright lights actually tend to paralyze them.
So turning off the lights might actually work.
I figured that's why it's illegal to hunt with flashlights at night too...so there's got to be something to it

I hit a deer on my KLR 650 one night on the way home from work. Stupid thing must have been trying to commit suicide, just jumped out of the ditch before I could do anything. I was slowing down to make a turn and had a six pack of beer between my legs, corona bottles in a sack. I hit it dead in the center but stayed up and came to a stop. My front fender was gone but otherwise the bike was OK. I looked down and somehow one of the beers somehow got out of the sack and stayed with me, all the rest was in a broken pile in the road. The next day I saw the deer in the ditch dead a little ways away from where it all happened. I was amazed at how many things went through my head in the fraction of a second between the time I saw the stupid deer and when I hit it, it was like time slowed down.
The deer had a KLR650 go through his mind LOL

Had a 8 point wipe out a 2000 Cougar. He was on the exit of a corner and there was no seeing him till it was too late. Only thing I remember was saying, " Oh dear," then darkness. Next thing I know, I'm screaming it, and coasting over to the side of the road. I get out, and a GMC Acadia hits the deer, and sends it flying 10 feet in the air.

had a friend of mine hit one on a motorcycle somewhere in iowa he said he was doing 60 plus when the deer jumped from the ditch line a hit him directly and knocked him off his bike, he said he was banged up a little but felt ok . so being on vacation at the time he picked up the bike which slid down the highway with no mechanical damage and drove it 3 hrs back to the hotel ate dinner and drank some beers went to bed woke up next morning couldn't move he had broken his neck. i saw him with a halo on screwed to his head when i asked him what the hell happened to you?

-
Back