Ever MAKE your own tools?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you need a tool that nobody makes. Sometimes the tool is available but it costs too much.
I'm planning a cam swap in the Charger. Part of the job includes changing the valve springs. I called Summit for a Powermaster spring compressor, but their ETA for delivery is 2 weeks! Being the anxious type, I went to my metal scrap stash and made my own. For about $5 in materials, I have my own. The welds are sloppy but strong.
Please forgive the Harbor Freight orange color of the paint. I just wanted a high visibility color.
What tools have you made for a difficult job?

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 162
I have one that i bought from ed hamburger 25 yrs ago that looks somewhat like that....where the tool contacts the retainer it is curved.

good job...

I'm currently building a spot-welder for the shop. Made motorcycle wheel balancing stands a few weeks ago. Probably make a crank/rod balancer after the spot-welder is done.

Made a steering wheel puller at the JY, from water pump bolts and spacers, and a lumina hood hinge. Worked great.

Maybe look in the "Shop Garage Tools" there's a stickied thread.

Yup - all the time. And this has been covered in other threads...lol. Nice work, BTW

-
Back