Ever not been able to save a car?

-

MoparMagic1992

Reaction score
Ever not been able to save a car that is most certainly going to meet its end if you don't 'save' it? Maybe its just me but it sucks. Found a '73 Fury III 4-Door hardtop with no motor or trans for sale locally..now i wouldn't necessarily save it, id either part it out to get my '73 Newport project done, or vise versa...but with trying to get my Dart road worthy im lacking in the money department. I know without a doubt someone will snatch it up and Derby it next year, which sucks, its a nice looking car.

Mini rant over if you want to call it that, but im interested to hear your "the one that got away" or "the one i couldnt save" Storys! :D

here is some pics of the Fury
269588_298812580224280_771109213_n.jpg

579026_298812606890944_1481498798_n.jpg

-John

Stupidest one I ever let get away was in the early spring of 70 just before I bought my 70 sixpack car. At the time I had a 69 RR that needed some work, brakes, tires, etc.

I was "looking" and here goes a smallblock AC Cobra. You have to realize that back then, they were all "real." There WERE no replicas then. I don't remember what he wanted, but it was in my price range. I thought it over, "no trunk", poor for poor weather, too small, and talked myself right out of the buy of a lifetime.

(Shortly after I paid 3K for the 70 440-6 RR with 38K on the clock)

Can YOU IMAGINE what that little AC would be worth now?

Second stupidest thing I ever did was selling the 440-6 car in the late 70s

A guy I know has a 72 Dart Swinger, BEAUTIFUL original condition. He hasn't bought gasoline in 9 years, and says he won't ever again drive the Dart, but still won't let it go. I offered to re roof his house for it, but he just won't budge.

Hes asking $1300 OBO for it...which i think is a little much.... i might offer a torn down '67 440 i have for it...but id really like to keep the motor..and i dont know if he's willing to trade, Im on the fence.

looks like he or someone bought it for the Engine/trans and is trying to sell the rest kinda.

Friend of mine check a freebie ad.Listing "72 Dart.v8,a.t..most sell quickly,400 o.b.o.".He checks it out.Original Petty blue 318 Swinger.Her hubby got shipped overseas,family moving on very short notice.Car had original plates,original paint and motor.Lucky bastard drove it home for four bills!Swapped a 340,got it into the 10's.Eventually ,made it to Florida,a W2 headed 372 with spray hits high 9's.

Maybe try to make a deal with someone who plans to derby it and get all of the good parts you need off of it for your car.
They just want the basic shell anyway, and might jump at the chance to sell some parts off of it and have the car pre stripped.
That way everyone wins.

Maybe try to make a deal with someone who plans to derby it and get all of the good parts you need off of it for your car.
They just want the basic shell anyway, and might jump at the chance to sell some parts off of it and have the car pre stripped.
That way everyone wins.

I actually tried that exact plan last year...about the same time i picked up my newport a guy i knew in high school picked up a '73 Newport 4-door sedan, that was like brand new, to of course derby it. i offered him $1000 for the car, but he wouldnt take less than $1500 without the motor or trans, plus he really liked the car and wanted to smash it up(doesn't make sense in my head) so i then offered to buy every singe part he took off if he didnt just tear it all out, i even offered to strip the car for him in exchange for the parts i need, but no luck. haven't heard from him since, dont know if the car is still around or not..i highly doubt it though

This is HIS '73 Newport i tried to save..
282009_259956844031718_7462780_n.jpg

-John

i had a 70 coronet daily driver that i was going to take off the road and build. it had a little rust , but nothing major, so i bought a new driver. i started tearing down the coronet, and when i pulled up the carpet, i discovered the front half of the car was B5 blue and the rear half was burnt orange. it was actually 2 cars welded together at the floor seam and the roof A pillars. there were holes in the floor were the it had rusted at the welds. needless to say , that car got parted and scrapped. good thing i decided to take it off the road, it was border line dangerous.

I have had a few that make me cringe to this day. My '72 AMC AMX. It had terminal cancer. This was back in the 80's when you couldn't find squat for AMC's. I also sold a '69 Coronet 500 roller to a buddy along with a damn good running '72 440 and matching 727 to put in it. He lost interest and sold it. He didn't even tell me, the bastard, or I would have bought it back. About a year later I found the body in a junkyard with all the precious pieces stripped of of it. :angryfir: I told him that I would never sell him another Mopar... ever!

They are just cars......would not lose any sleep over it that is for sure.....

-
Back