-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
17352228_1893000817580400_4468928700651700577_n-jpg.405996

none of your pics are showing

but yes, i do pick up hitchhikers, as long as i do NOT have the family with me

I do around here, two long main roads you have to travel to get anywhere.

Have a few times..... I don't recommend it. I never let them get behind me, even if they are girls. I'm talking hitchhikers, not someone whose car broke down.

Back in the 80s my friend had a 1970 hot rod Cutlass. He redid the brakes with compression fittings and of course they blew out. With no money we would cruise with no brakes and use the emergency brake to stop or downshift. We picked up a guy hitchhiking who gets in the back seat and tells us he was in a mental hospital, he is crazy etc. We are laughing, and driving a major roadway and going through red lights. He says, what the hell is wrong with you guys, your not stopping at the intersections. We tell him we have no brakes, and Mr crazy then begs us to let him out at the next intersection. He couldn't get out of the car fast enough. lol.

When I was young I hitched all around the state. Because of that I used to pick folks up all the time. Now I don't at all. Different times .

I used to, When hitchhikers were just ordinary people with no hidden agendas. Now it's too hard to tell the ordinaries from the crazies.
But yeah, broke-downers, hop in! I've been picked up too many times to not pay it back. Or pay it forward.

I always pick up hitch hikers on the highway I live on, it is how a lot of people still commute around here. Now when I get closer to the big city I don`t.

I did when I drove an 18 wheeler, till one night crossing through Alabama. There was a car on the side with the hood up and a young woman waving her arms. I gave a signal and started to slow when a trucker radioed me there were two guys waiting on the other side of the car. I didn't stop, but someone else did and were beaten badly enough to end up in intensive care later that night. After that I really had a hard time stopping.

When I was young I hitched all around the state. Because of that I used to pick folks up all the time. Now I don't at all. Different times .
^^this almost exactly - I used to hitch everywhere I went - so I have some empathy when I see people hitching. With that said, I am extremely picky when I do/will stop for a hitchhiker - it is situational. I will NEVER EVER stop with anyone else with me. There was a guy last year that I drove by a few times who was hitching at 6:30 in the morning - after about 1/2 way through the second week of seeing him out there every morning I decided to stop and give him a lift, turned out he was trying to make the bus station on the other side of town so he could go to work and was trying to save up enough $$ to buy a car. I did that just about every work day for a few weeks - if I saw him, I would stop.

^^this almost exactly - I used to hitch everywhere I went - so I have some empathy when I see people hitching. With that said, I am extremely picky when I do/will stop for a hitchhiker - it is situational. I will NEVER EVER stop with anyone else with me. There was a guy last year that I drove by a few times who was hitching at 6:30 in the morning - after about 1/2 way through the second week of seeing him out there every morning I decided to stop and give him a lift, turned out he was trying to make the bus station on the other side of town so he could go to work and was trying to save up enough $$ to buy a car. I did that just about every work day for a few weeks - if I saw him, I would stop.
and I would almost always rather have another adult with me. They would get in the back seat, while the hitcher gets in the front seat. I feel all advantages are on my side with another adult sitting in the back seat right behind the hitcher (or at least more of an advantage than nobody on my side in the back seat). Like I say, I normally just keep a roll'n, because sadly it's hardly worth the chance.

I did when I drove an 18 wheeler, till one night crossing through Alabama. There was a car on the side with the hood up and a young woman waving her arms. I gave a signal and started to slow when a trucker radioed me there were two guys waiting on the other side of the car. I didn't stop, but someone else did and were beaten badly enough to end up in intensive care later that night. After that I really had a hard time stopping.

I hitchhiked everywhere in the early 70's, but to answer your question, NO.

Jeff

I used to pick up hitchhikers regularly but after a couple of bad experiences I no longer do it. One guy tried to rob me with a knife. Another was obviously on drugs and had a bowel movement in their pants a few days previous. Stunk up the car for many days! If I see someone is broke down I stop for sure.

Look up Randy Kraft or William Bonin....
They make for a good reason not to hitch hike or pick up any....
And that was in the 80's... I don't think people are less crazy now-a-days....

Unless it's a hot young thing reasonably dressed/clean....

Nope. 99.9% of the time I won't even consider it.

Absolutely NOT!!!! I feel bad because some are probably legit enough but I don't feel like gambling my life on it.

A couple times my Dart left me on the side of the road (one time a broken coil wire, one time a burnt clutch from a street brawl) ..... I feel bad as well because a lot of kind people out there would stop and ask if I needed a ride. Even if I did, I would choose to walk instead, I don't want to be in the newspaper "local woman missing and presumed dead" ....umm no thanks, I can walk just fine.

Nope..Back in the late 70's I picked up a couple of early 20ish Farm boy looking guys. By the time I finally got rid of those two downright crazy dudes my skin had goosebumps all over and the hair on my neck was standing on end. These guys were stark raving crazy.

I see a handful of people walking the four lane by my house regularly. I haven't picked anyone up recently but if I see the same person walking every day I'm more likely to have empathy and give them a ride.

Today with cell phones and uber getting around without a car is easier than ordering a pizza.

I see a handful of people walking the four lane by my house regularly. I haven't picked anyone up recently but if I see the same person walking every day I'm more likely to have empathy and give them a ride.

Today with cell phones and uber getting around without a car is easier than ordering a pizza.
I'm on my phone, otherwise I would provide a link...but plug in "uber" "kalamazoo" and "murderspree" in your Google and see what pops up

I have and one time when I still had the 383 in the GTS we were up at the river about 10 miles out of town and we were going back into town to get more beer. We already had several. I picked up two guys that wanted a ride into town. Well I was taking the curves fast enough to make tires squeal and when we got to Lake Nichol dam somebody said "hit it" and of course I did. When we got to other side and crossed spillway and started up hill at about 110-115 mph it spun around and slid about 50 yards up the hill backwards and up next to a guardrail without hitting anything. When it stopped rolling the two hitchhikers bailed and said they would walk to town.
About 20 years later I was building a new house and the builder drove one Sunday morning and had another man with him. The guy kept looking at me funny but didn't say much. John the builder said before he got out the driveway the guy asked him did he know know me and John said yea why. He told John to never get in a car with me because the SOB is crazy. Turned out he was one of the hitchhikers.

I'm on my phone, otherwise I would provide a link...but plug in "uber" "kalamazoo" and "murderspree" in your Google and see what pops up

I can guess what will pop up. You will have horror stories from apps like this but the qualifications and processing to become an uber driver now is fairly well done so those incidents are very isolated.

I would much rather take my chances in a car with a stranger that has registered their legal identity, and vehicle with a reputable company then stick my thumb out on the side of a highway. I've used the app a lot while traveling for work or for fun.

Hell no! There are more nuts per square mile here in the SF Bay area than in a fruitcake as big as the USS Missouri!

-
Back