Ever raced on Runway (vids)???

-

The Shocker

Reaction score
Heard about a local drag event as part of a car show ,so i gave it a whirl .I have raced on many tracks but this was the first time i ever drag raced on an old Airport Runway.Traction was none existant and i must tell you it was a butt puckerer trying to keep my Dodge going straight feathering the throttle.My car will run low 11's easily on a well prepped track ,but this was a whole other ball game.I was real surprised to see all the fast cars that showed up and most matches including all of mine came down to a traction contest in and out of the throttle all the way through the 1/8.This was "run what you brung" type event with no classes ,and hand drop starts .I have a real respect for the oldtimers that raced on these air strips before drag strips where invented and this was the first time my car ever had traction problems even in high gear at over 90mph .Atleast i can say i've done it now .I shot a few vids while i wasnt racing and a freind got the last part of one of my burnouts in my Dart .I gotta get new slicks over the winter anyway ,so i had sum fun finishing mine off .Not too bad for dry powerbraking burnouts (no water box) ...

[ame="http://youtu.be/-iE0mEGF7lE"]302 Found[/ame]

a town about 45 minutes from here has 1/8th mile races at their airport every year (my brother usually goes- I never have, to run or watch).
I heard a guy from here in town was up there this year, and smoked 'em the entire eighth...but he has a 6 second car...

edit- come to think of it, my brother won the $500 prize a few years ago there (with his vmax).

This is on Vancouver Island in BC at an airport in Port Mcneill, this was my first pass with my all new SB R3 engine I ran a 1.43 60' 6.58 et at 107.8 mph.
The following weekend I ran at another Airport in Port Alberni 1/4 mile and ran a 1.40 60' 9.99 et at 133.5 mphhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDowLilWOw&feature=player_embedded

Had a high school friend who worked at a small local air strip on the east side of town......we used to go fill up with AV gas but that's as far as we got. Always wanted to run on the runway but the bosses wouldn't let us. Probably was a good thing.

Wow, pretty cool!
No helmet on the 409 Chevy guy. Makes me wonder, in this litigious day and age, how an event like that can happen.
Don't get me wrong, I love it. Just wondering how it can happen without a tech-in, etc? Is there a release that has to be signed by drivers and spectators? If parts fly into the crowd...
There's an airport near me. Unfortunately, it's open. It'd be great to have a place to just let loose.

Having an innocent looking early A that can run 11's has just got to be a blast. Very cool, I think

A couple years back a bunch of guys from my area did it...
I think 30 cars, invitation only, could be trailered to the one guy's house, then must be driven a few miles to the airport. A number of 10second to 13 second cars.
My buddy won the event with his mid 11second Coronet street racer. A well hooked up mid11 on street tire car...
Google White Trash Airport Drags....
There's about 15 minutes of video in 5 minute clips.

The truth that sounds like a lie.

As a young kid my brother had a hot Mustang but several hotter cars were in town. I remember two that had superchargers. BB Mopars, Chevys and Fords abound. Not bad for a town of 3,000 people. One day some one had rented the local airport and was having a match race. I was so excited ( I didn't even know what a match race was). Anyway they wanted cars to show up and light the airport for the race. My brother went but my mother made me stay home. I can still hear her say " Thats no place for a 13 year old". So I had to stay home.
The next day my brother said it was a bunch of nothing. The cars didn't race they just drove up the airstrip. But they had several cars built alike. To him the best thing was seeing the 55 Chevy that had be around town for a couple of day. Later I found out the cars were from way out of town.
The airstrip is between Etowah and Athens Tennessee. The match race was a 55 supercharged Chevy and a 1970 GTO. The extra cars were film cars.
The movie: Two-Lane Blacktop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop
http://twolaneblacktop.yuku.com/topic/81/Athens-TN

Wow, pretty cool!
No helmet on the 409 Chevy guy. Makes me wonder, in this litigious day and age, how an event like that can happen.
Don't get me wrong, I love it. Just wondering how it can happen without a tech-in, etc? Is there a release that has to be signed by drivers and spectators? If parts fly into the crowd...
There's an airport near me. Unfortunately, it's open. It'd be great to have a place to just let loose.
We did all sign a release,but im not sure if they had insurance or not .I would hope so and there was absolutely no tech or safety gear required.I still wore my helment and buckled up in the 5 point regarldess.This track BTW is and old military base that has tons of old runways .There are still sum private planes that fly out of this airport .All of the original hangers and buildings are still there from the 40's-50's.I think the county owns it now and im not sure how the promoter ever got them to go for a drag race being held there .Its only like 7 miles from my house ...

Having an innocent looking early A that can run 11's has just got to be a blast. Very cool, I think
Thanks , i have a best of 11.40 flat in the 1/4 and 7.17 in the 1/8 in this Dodge with an all motor 10 to 1 small block .Im pretty proud of the old girl .Heres a pic of the only rust hole in the whole car right behind the wheel.Im preserving it with melted rubber till i get around to fixing it ,lol ...

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 326
Where is the air port at? They do this at a old air base here by me. Ronnie in South central Okla.

Its between Sherman and Denison Texas.Its called Perrin Airforce Base ,atleast thats what it used to be.I think the AirForce shut it down in the late 50's ...

We did all sign a release,but im not sure if they had insurance or not .I would hope so and there was absolutely no tech or safety gear required.I still wore my helment and buckled up in the 5 point regarldess.This track BTW is and old military base that has tons of old runways .There are still sum private planes that fly out of this airport .All of the original hangers and buildings are still there from the 40's-50's.I think the county owns it now and im not sure how the promoter ever got them to go for a drag race being held there .Its only like 7 miles from my house ...
Thanks for the reply.
It sounds like a blast. I know plenty of guys who would love to just go wide open and not have to worry about doing it on the street.

Immokalee, FL is a 1/8 mile track that's been racing on part of an airport runway for years. But it's properly prepped and traction is great! During the national anthem, theyhave a cropduster do a flyover.

That is the one I go to. It is amazing what different cars show up out there. They have that every year and I think it just keeps getting bigger. I just live just a few miles across the river from there. I know last year there were 2 hemi cars and a 6pac car running. Ronnie

we have small airports all over the place ,but they won't even discuss letting us use one.not for a second!damn bay area:wack:

up here in northern ontario all we run is runway. and the cars are getting quicker. at one event we have a couple true promods that do match races and one guy from the soo brings out his alcohol funny car. Terace bay, Wawa, Elliot lake, north bay, kirkland lake, earlton, and there are a few more towns that i have for got all have runway drags. Elliot lake is the largest event with 10,000 spectators and 400 + cars. it is always a good time and well run.

-
Back