Ever see one of these? Rare Valiant Made in USA fender tags

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Ever see these before??? Rare??? I picked up some of these tags, they are new old stock, never seen them before. They are metal, about 4 1/4" wide, 1 3/4" tall, they say Valiant Div. Of Chrysler Corp. Detroit Michigan Made in U.S.A.

Were these for overseas built cars, or maybe used on the early 60-62 Valiants? I think they are cool, I want to put one under the hood on my 66 Valiant.

I have seen similar tags before, same shape and size but say Dodge or Plymouth, made in USA, I think these were on cars shipped outside the USA. Thought I would share some pics....:toothy10:

Picture 976.jpg

Picture 977.jpg

Cool! The cardboard piece I taped to it is for a pattern to make the plastic piece that was missing, just cut a flat, smooth piece of plastic and glue it on and it will work just fine!

I read some where that the Valiant at one point (I think 1960 mabby?) Was marketed as its own brand and sold at Chrysler dealers. Mabby thats what they are from? They are very cool.

Here is a Plymouth tag, same size, just different printing on it.

exporttag.jpg

My early mopars have a red tag like that. One is a 51 Plymouth and the other is a 41 Chrysler.

I have never seen either style, Cool find

Very cool indeed. Chryslerfat, where were they placed on the car?
C

Being a Minnesota guy and close to the Canadian border, you might find this interesting.... I recently parted out a '66 Dart GT. The car had a tag similar that said MADE IN CANADA. It also had MADE IN CANADA embossed on the VIN tag in the door frame. Since the Canadian '66 Dart GT cars were badged as Valiants, this car was a made in Canada export to the US. The '66 Valiant cars that Canada exported to the US were badged as Dart GTs.

It is an export tag. I just saw this in one of my mags.

66340SEDAN! Those tags were for all Chrysler built cars and trucks made for export. All cars that arrived to Europe needed one of those on the cars at the arrival otherwise the car could not be licensed in Europe. The customs in Europe needed proof of origin! On a ship from US....!
I have reproduced 1965 and 1966 Valiant tags and 1965 and 1966 Dart tags. Your tags are for Valiant 1960 to 1964. They must be extemly rare over there. It was just assembly line stuff!

I found them on ebay, the guy had tons of them, all NOS, I think there are still some listed.

-
Back