ever see this ?

-

jimmygolds

Reaction score
see how the cross member is cut just after it goes over the trans? now i think someone cut it for maybe clearance issue's, the guy that sold me the car said he's A- body buddy say's the factory did this on 4-speed cars, ive worked at auto dealers since the 80s and seen some crazy stuff from the factory but to cut a cross member ? anybody seen anything like this? 71 demon factory 4 speed.

Attachments

• crossmember.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 577
I'd say no way. It looks like someone's had a torch in there.

You know, I saw your picture earlier and was trying to figure this out as well. I'm in the process of acquiring a '70 Duster from another member here and it was an auto car converted to 4-speed that is cut in the same manner. I really didn't think anything about it until a buddy of mine picked up a '70 340 3-speed car the other day. The hump and everything look to be untouched, but his cross member is cut exactly like this one. Definitely strange to see more than one cut in the same manner.

That's a major structural issue and the factory didn't do that. My car is a 4-speed convert, and I had no need to perform such meatball surgery.

That's someone using non-A parts and forcing them to fit, or some other buggery.

You know, I saw your picture earlier and was trying to figure this out as well. I'm in the process of acquiring a '70 Duster from another member here and it was an auto car converted to 4-speed that is cut in the same manner. I really didn't think anything about it until a buddy of mine picked up a '70 340 3-speed car the other day. The hump and everything look to be untouched, but his cross member is cut exactly like this one. Definitely strange to see more than one cut in the same manner.

Man, if this turns out to be the work of the factory, I'll have to keep it under my hat. If any of my Chebby buddies catch wind of this, I'll never hear the end of it.

even if IT DID come like that from the factory, NO WAY i would leave it like that! i have to replace the floor pan any way. and i cant see the factory cutting a support piece like that.....btw thats not the original shifter. even if it wasnt cut it looks like it still would have fit.

Mopar Muscle magizine april 2014, has 2 articals 1) installing a 5 speed in a 4 speed duster with no cutting,you can clearly see the crossmember is not cut...2) a how to replace a torsionbar crossmember! they where replacing it cause it was cut !

Bullshit.
That is NOT original no matter what anyone says.
I've seen a lot of original cars, and never seen one cut like that from the factory.
Fix it properly, because IT'S UNSAFE!

6 Speed upgrade time!

Roger that as someone has already started the cut for him.

That is not factory. I had two vehicles exactly the same way; one was my 71 440 Duster. I went to the junk yard and asked the yard to cut one out for me. With a torch, they cut a crossmember out of a totally trashed car they were about to crush anyway. I had them cut it way bigger than what I needed. I think they charged me $40, but this was about 15 years ago. Took it home, trimmed it to fit, and welded it into the Duster. Never had another issue.

It usually comes from someone cutting the floor section out from inside the car for a 4-speed install and hacking through the crossmember before they've realized it. MoparMic's pic is what it should look like from the factory.

That's a major structural issue and the factory didn't do that. My car is a 4-speed convert, and I had no need to perform such meatball surgery.

That's someone using non-A parts and forcing them to fit, or some other buggery.

Your convertible isn't exactly the same car as a Duster. I don't know if there is a difference, just saying.
If I had to guess what the deal is.. E-body or other 4 speed transplant could very well need additional clearance.

doesn't the shifter sit further back on the "B" & "E" body 4-speeds? maybe that could be the reason they are cut like that, using the wrong transmission for an "A" body.

Yep unknowing and cutting from top down could cause that.
My neighbor set his skweel saw blade too deep and cut the bottom out of a fiberglass boat while intending to cut only the plywood floor. Anyway...
The picture of how the cut should be made when adding a 4 speed hump should be seen by others. Modern technology/internet can help prevent yesterdays mistakes repeating tomorrow.
Happy moparing

Seriously doubt that the factory would cut out a much needed structural member of the car...

Yep unknowing and cutting from top down could cause that.
My neighbor set his skweel saw blade too deep and cut the bottom out of a fiberglass boat while intending to cut only the plywood floor. Anyway...
The picture of how the cut should be made when adding a 4 speed hump should be seen by others. Modern technology/internet can help prevent yesterdays mistakes repeating tomorrow.
Happy moparing

I'll bet that gave your neighbor a sinking feeling! Sorry I had to do it.

-
Back