Everyone's opinion for rear end to go with?

8 3/4 or Dana 6

• 8 3/4

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Dana 60

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
-
I agree, because of my point before. What wheels would he run with five lug and that BIG center hole? I don't think anybody makes anything. So Ford 9" it is. LOL
If he put car ends on the Dana instead of the floater ends hed have easy wheel selection. Or he could call tim McManus for his floater ends, but he might only make them for 9ers. Lol, it seems you might be correct

I agree with what most everyone has said here. I would not bother with an 8 3/4" (with anything really, besides a stock streetcar). The strange S60 housing is also lighter than a factory D60 housing.
Depending on brakes and axles you choose, add your choice of car housing ends (not floater) and you'd be good to go with that combo for quite some time.

Just put this in it.
REAR END.jpg

Been down the 8.75 and dana 60 debate already.

Should of went d60 right from the beginning. I will be pulling the 8.75 in the near future for the d60 mainly because of hp increase.

The one thing that everyone is forgetting is that it’s the overdrive transmission that will be the weak link. With that clutch tamer clutch that rear end might not see that much shock and it could hold up. If you think that an upgrade to a non overdrive transmission and a more aggressive clutch in the future is a possibility then the Dana is the answer.

The one thing that everyone is forgetting is that it’s the overdrive transmission that will be the weak link. With that clutch tamer clutch that rear end might not see that much shock and it could hold up. If you think that an upgrade to a non overdrive transmission and a more aggressive clutch in the future is a possibility then the Dana is the answer.
But why depend on "could" when you can depend on "will"?

I know this is not one of the two options to choose from but if you have ever changed gears in a 9" floater you might consider it as a option. Find someone local who races circle track and watch him or her change gears. You will be amazed. The only thing easier (too easy) is a quick change and you might even have room for one in your pick up. Not sue if there is added gear noise with a quick change. Never ran one without open headers. That could be a deal breaker. Also I don't know strength wise how a quick change compares to a regular 9" as far as drag racing stress. Quick change gears are less than $100 and fit in your glove box.

If you are starting from scratch, go Dana, I just bought a 60 floater pretty cheap.
I also picked up a 85 short box Dodge truck, 440, 727 it has a 8.75 that somebody put under it.

Either rear will hold up under the truck, its going to be real hard to get it to hook up, its most likely just going to want to spin the tires.

-
Back