Excessive Backlash

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
What would cause excessive backlash in my 904? It clunks in and out of gear (going from N to D or R) and sometimes it will clunk going through the gear range. The driveshaft rotates quite a couple degrees by hand with the transmission in park. Anybody got any ideas?

Think so? The rearend is going, it makes a wonderful racket as you go down the road. Sounds like several bearings are shot. But if the backlash is in the rearend than that would indicate the gearset is damaged or worn which would explain the noise right?

My dad was the one who detected the backlash and he said it was the transmission. I honestly suspected the rearend but I figured he's got way more experience than I so...

....................Its more than likely play in the differential.................kim........
X2. The 7 1/4 spider gears are about to let go! I'd lower your idle down to the bare minimum to ease the problem but it's going to be rear end time real soon.

Ok so here's an unrelatd question. If I get an 87-91 dakota rearend could I not stick that under the car and have BBP's and 10" drums in the rear. Given relocated spring perches it seems like a fairly easy swap as an A-body 8-3/4 fits easily under the dakot's.

Sure, if you can live with a rear end almost 6 wider than the one you have......

-
Back