Exhaust advice sought for 318/E body

-

shadango

Reaction score
Well, its time to start figuring stuff out....LOL

The 74 318 currently sitting in my 72 Barracuda has stock exhaust manifolds on it and no exhaust.....she has power steering and will have an automatic (planning a 727).

I know I want headers, just not sure which ones work the best at a reasonable price. Less money the better, but I also want good performance and quality.

What do you folks run and recommend header wise? Any exhaust kits out there that wont break the bank but sound good and are well-designed for the install?

I want a nice deep sound with some volume but not obnoxious.

The problem with MoPars and headers are the cheap headers need to have the front end linkage come apart on the driverside. While this is a needed evil to install the regular headers, why they still have 3 tubes under the linkage is beyond me. They will allways get crushed. So there goes any type of cheap.

Next up from the regular header manufactures are from Hooker. They make the regular Comp headers I was talking about, but they also have "Super Comp" that do not hang below the front end linkage. They fit very very nice. Except if you have a 4spd and Lakewood scatter sheild.
Hooker Super Comp's, 1-3/4 tube, $439 out of Summit racing.

Moving away from the norm in manufacturing, theres Doug's headers and TTI.
TTI's are expensive; http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/maneboden158.html There here at Mancini; http://www.manciniracing.com/
(Best bet IMO) Dougs headers, 1-5/8 tube $429; http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94908078+4294840100+4294925079+115+4294908077

Dual exhaust on the cheap can be had through ethier Jegs or Summit racing with there true dual exhaust kits with or without mufflers. If you want a rumble, get the kit without mufflers and add your own. Dyno Max should fit the bill very nicely.
Kit with mufflers http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908078+4294908075+4294923429+115&autoview=sku

tti will fit the best and not hang low. hooker and headman will perform well but hang so low they hit the ground way too often and fit like crap over #3 & #5 plugs. the tti headders have nice thick flanges and all. i heard the dougs are cheaper and the same as tti but i don't know that for sure.

The Dougs and TTI's look different. Can't miss it when you see them in or out of the car. The Dougs are nice. The TTI's are better for a higher performing engine. The stepped tubes are big in that area.

Super Comp Hookers do not hang below the front end linkage. I have a '73, 360 Cuda 4spd (Hence the screen name in part) and own Super Comp headers from Hooker. Excellent high performance headers.

The Dougs and TTI's look different. Can't miss it when you see them in or out of the car. The Dougs are nice. The TTI's are better for a higher performing engine. The stepped tubes are big in that area.

Super Comp Hookers do not hang below the front end linkage. I have a '73, 360 Cuda 4spd (Hence the screen name in part) and own Super Comp headers from Hooker. Excellent high performance headers.

got pics? like to see them.

heres what i like about the tti's

look at the thick flange and wide open plug access. no burnt wires here.

DSC02539.jpg

passenger side pretty much the same design as a cheap headder.

DSC02542.jpg

awesome ground clearance..

DSC02553.jpg

Rumblefish is right on, you won't be able to get headers that stay above the steering link for under $400 unless you buy them used. Doug's, TTI and the Hooker Super Comps all stay above the steering link, although the uncoated versions are all over $400.

Doug's headers require a mini-starter though, the Hooker Super Comps (the ceramic version is #5115 for the e-bods, more $ though) fit with the standard starter. Not sure if the TTI's have any special requirements.

For the Hooker Super Comp non-believers, this is a set of Super Comps on a E-body Barracuda. They're above the link, and in about the same place as the TTI's. Maybe a touch lower, but its hard to tell from the pictures as they're all at different angles.

CopyofP1020026.jpg

I'm liking the supercomps......I have a deep sump oil pan on this car so its low enough already ...LOL

Maybe I can find some used ones.....fingers crossed.....what would be a good price used?

I do already plan to use a mini starter.

got pics? like to see them.

72bluNblu got my back on that. The best I can do is get a shot of the headers out of the car. There currently hanging in the garage.

72bluNblu, do you have any in car shots, driverside most importantly?

shadango, I think the doug's are what you need. The TTI's are a bit much header for the 318 and the Hookers are a serious street strip header.

For all, this very same header will fit ssmall blocks in B body cars as well, even a Cordoba and Magnum with the ISO mounted K frames.
I did so fit them in myself on my Magnum.

Rumblefish is right on, you won't be able to get headers that stay above the steering link for under $400 unless you buy them used. Doug's, TTI and the Hooker Super Comps all stay above the steering link, although the uncoated versions are all over $400.

Doug's headers require a mini-starter though, the Hooker Super Comps (the ceramic version is #5115 for the e-bods, more $ though) fit with the standard starter. Not sure if the TTI's have any special requirements.

For the Hooker Super Comp non-believers, this is a set of Super Comps on a E-body Barracuda. They're above the link, and in about the same place as the TTI's. Maybe a touch lower, but its hard to tell from the pictures as they're all at different angles.

CopyofP1020026.jpg

thats cool. what do they look like at the heads? . now why can't they make plain comps like that with a smaller tube?

tti's you can run a stock or mini starter with.

I was hearing the tite tube headers having the centerdump as being difficult in bending the rerst of the exhaust to it. Umm, the, er...OH ,,,K frame in the way or something.

I think the Super Comps would pay up top in the RPM band.

But if fit is al you want, I'd do it.

A body Joe, I agree, what the heck? A smaller tube version of this would be what I'd do for a street header and smaller sized engines.

Dougs and tti are the two best fitting, the super comps are also very good.

IMO, everyone should run a mini starter. It's a no brainer to me. Lighter, better piece than the original mopar boat anchor starters.

1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step is more money for little gain. When you get to the point of needing the step, you're better off getting a 1 3/4 tube from the start. The window that they are useful is VERY small. On a 318 it's an even smaller window.

I bought my Hooker 5115's at a swap meet for $200. No dents at all, a few scratches in the ceramic coating and in need of a polish, but it awesome condition. :-D

Here are some pictures, they aren't actually of my car as I haven't mounted mine yet. I did a bunch of research over at cuda-challenger when I was deciding what to get for my 340 build (not finished yet, which is why the headers aren't in). According to the gentleman that sent the pictures, he has 5" of ground clearance with the deep sump pan (8 qt) and no issue's with the Super Comps dragging. He's also had them mounted for over 20 years! Not sure where he's at ride height-wise.

Here are some more of the Hooker's

CopyofP1020024.jpg

416_done.jpg

Copy2of000_5254.jpg

These are Doug's headers from above and below. They do require a mini-starter if you don't have one already
dsc00005smallnd6.jpg

tommycar009nl9.jpg

Spend your money ONCE,spend it on the best spend it on tti's..:-D

Thats what I am thinking.....

right now, have to spend $$$ on a tranny, radiator, alternator, starter, driveshaft and tranny cross member....

So I was thinking maybe I could get a decent exhaust to bolt up to the stock manifolds for now and then when cash permits, get the better headers and then adpat to the system...

Then again, double the work I suppose....

Well, just an update....

Got the tranny in and thecar running long enough to know it runs....

When I started thinking exhaust , "headers" kept coming to my mind...so I ordered a set of Dougs.

They should be here this week sometime, I hope. :cheers:

I hope they fit ok!

I do have to replace two of the studs for the exhaust ....(I am going to leave the studs in...two came out, two stayed stuck...)

-
Back