Not open for further replies.

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for the two brackets that bolt to the bellhousing and the tail of the exhaust manifold on the left side. For my '65 F/S resto, I can't find them in the parts book, but here's what they look like. I'm not sure if these came on '65s, but they look like a good idea. (Photo credit to 68 Cuda Formula S for the picture).

001 (1).jpg

I'm looking for the two brackets that bolt to the bellhousing and the tail of the exhaust manifold on the left side. For my '65 F/S resto, I can't find them in the parts book, but here's what they look like. I'm not sure if these came on '65s, but they look like a good idea. (Photo credit to 68 Cuda Formula S for the picture).

View attachment 1716112606
Those were standard on 64 to 66 A-body cars with 273. Not 273 equipped B-body cars.

If you need tubing and want to be spot on with diameter and material…. Go to a junk yard and buy one of the under hood diag inner fender to cowl braces used on I believe 73-76 dusters and darts. It also is outer diameter spot on for the factory bushings used for alternator mounts.
I have made them: cut to length. I used a hydraulic press to flatten tube ends and drilled a hole for the bolts. Paint International tractor red (for my 66 273) and nobody knows the difference. Sorry no pictures. And agree with above- b bodies did not use them. It was the abody manifold that needed extra support.

If you need tubing and want to be spot on with diameter and material…. Go to a junk yard and buy one of the under hood diag inner fender to cowl braces used on I believe 73-76 dusters and darts. It also is outer diameter spot on for the factory bushings used for alternator mounts.
I have made them: cut to length. I used a hydraulic press to flatten tube ends and drilled a hole for the bolts. Paint International tractor red (for my 66 273) and nobody knows the difference. Sorry no pictures. And agree with above- b bodies did not use them. It was the abody manifold that needed extra support.

Especially since nobody can see the damn things when they are in the car anyway!

I really appreciate the feedback. I've worked with EMT tubing quite a bit, I may give that a try. I don't have a press, but I've got a big vice, maybe I can use that the crimp the ends.

View attachment 1716112606
For some reason, they list both braces with the same part number....2465162....and they say only one is used per car! Maybe the replacement part was just a tube you had to cut, bend and drill?

I decided to make my own brackets. I used 1/2" EMT conduit, which measures .70" O.D. A bit thicker than the originals, which are .60" according to a post by Hyper_Pak. The upper one went pretty fast, maybe 45 minutes. The bottom one took a bit longer, the first bottom one wasn't right, it interfered with starter bolt access, so I did a second (pictured). I used my big vice to squash the ends, and my drill press and grinder to finish them. The angles are tricky, and watch for adequate clearance above the starter bolt for a socket to fit. I'm beginning to understand why these are hard to find, they tend to get in the way, and they weren't replaced due to the lack of space. It's hard to get a wrench on the bellhousing bolt, and my engine isn't even in the car!
DSC_6547.JPG

DSC_6548.JPG

DSC_6549.JPG

DSC_6550.JPG

DSC_6551.JPG

DSC_6552.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back