Exhaust Nightmare!

-

2-66 Cudas

Reaction score
Why did I have to fall in love with an Early A? Did not want to hack up a rotisorie restored car to install fenderwell headers, so I talked to the good people at Sanderson who said some had made DD7 blockhuggers work. Bought a set - wont clear steering shaft. Following other comments on this site, I located a set of 92 Dakota 5.2 exhaust manifolds - same issue! Following another lead from this site, I contacted Sanderson again about the new DD8 block hungers. They responded within 24 hrs and said they would gladly exchange the driver side header for the new DD8 design. They guarantee that it will fit. Packed up the the DD7 today - will let you all know how this works out.

That's why I kept the factory manifolds, 800-1000$ for headers is not in my budget and then you gotta modify them, piss on that i'll keep my stock stuff.

Come....join us on the dark side......:D

image_zps1ef5773a.jpg

TTI headers fit perfectly with no issues. You do have to weave the torsion bars and the steering column through them but the fit fitment and functionality is right on. They may cost a bit more but you really do get what you pay for.

I have the magnum manifolds on my early a.
A 1/4" shim under the drivers mount and it clears the steering.

TTI headers fit perfectly with no issues. You do have to weave the torsion bars and the steering column through them but the fit fitment and functionality is right on. They may cost a bit more but you really do get what you pay for.

....ah, maybe. we now shutter when we hear the word 'header". Had to install our engine twice because of 'em...

...but they look cool..

how cheap are these sandersons?

for me if i'm gonna run manifolds i would just keep the stock 273 manifolds.

if running headers then its dougs (smaller tubes) or tti (bigger tubes and tighter fit around larger t-bars). only others i would use are spitfires if you can find them..its common knowledge they they fit and fit well. i wouldn't even mess around with any of the other crap out there for an early abody if you don't want to cut...

The Sanderson DD7 set cost me $367.00 through Summit - picked them up at the Talmage Ohio store. They are shipping the DD8 driver side directly to me. We shimmed both mounts 1/4" when trying the DD7 headers. So pulling that 1/4" out of the passenger side will tilt the engine enough for the magnum manifold to clear the steering? I can't get my little finger between the manifold and inner fender on the passenger side now - dropping that side would make it hit! This is a 318 with 360 heads, the manifolds that came with the engine were from a 1/2 ton van. I have a set of 273 manifolds, the outlet diameter is a lot smaller than the 2-1/8 magnums - can't see how those would flow well!

you have something wrong if you can't get your hand between the manifold and innerfender the one in my avatar has more room then that

it also has the drivers mount shimmed 1/4" and a 92 dakota manifold on it

Welcome aboard. I have a '65 Cuda with a 360 and power steering and have been told repeatedly that HiPo 340 or Dakota manifolds will fit. They don't. I find that out after spending a lot of money. I don't believe anything I read on automotive forums unless someone actually posts direct confirmation and photos. There's just so damned much "Oh yeah, that'll work" from users that sound authoritative but are actually clueless.

For a long time I wanted a set of Doug's or TTI headers, but they're such a pain for a daily driver or weekend fun car. They just get in the way of everything. For example, when my starter eventually goes I really don't relish the idea of removing a very difficult exhaust system.

At present I'm stuck with 273 manifolds, which are the only things that actually fit as far as manifolds go. They make splendid rev limiters and choke the engine quite expertly.

I'm very interested to see how your DD8 experience goes. If they work, they're less than half the cost of Doug's or TTI headers.

In the back of my mind I wonder if swapping out the power steering gear with a Borgeson unit will give me the room I need for Dakota manifolds, but fear to ask. It seems like either spend a grand on a fanboy header system or a grand on a power steering gear.

My eyes are looking your way! Can you post any pictures?

Welcome aboard. I have a '65 Cuda with a 360 and power steering and have been told repeatedly that HiPo 340 or Dakota manifolds will fit. They don't. I find that out after spending a lot of money. I don't believe anything I read on automotive forums unless someone actually posts direct confirmation and photos. There's just so damned much "Oh yeah, that'll work" from users that sound authoritative but are actually clueless.

For a long time I wanted a set of Doug's or TTI headers, but they're such a pain for a daily driver or weekend fun car. They just get in the way of everything. For example, when my starter eventually goes I really don't relish the idea of removing a very difficult exhaust system.

At present I'm stuck with 273 manifolds, which are the only things that actually fit as far as manifolds go. They make splendid rev limiters and choke the engine quite expertly.

I'm very interested to see how your DD8 experience goes. If they work, they're less than half the cost of Doug's or TTI headers.

In the back of my mind I wonder if swapping out the power steering gear with a Borgeson unit will give me the room I need for Dakota manifolds, but fear to ask. It seems like either spend a grand on a fanboy header system or a grand on a power steering gear.

My eyes are looking your way! Can you post any pictures?

your 360 mounts must be differently angled then the 273 ones or 340 then because I put a 1992 dakota manifold on with just a little shimming

there is something different with yours because I have personally seen 2 others locally that have done the same

I will post pics as soon as I get them on - if they fit as promised. I used the 273 mounts from my green 66 car with a modification to the passenger side due to different mounting ear configuration on the 318 block. I will take pics tomorrow of the pass. Side magnum manifold before I take it off and the driver side laying against steering shaft and coupler.

....ah, maybe. we now shutter when we hear the word 'header". Had to install our engine twice because of 'em...

...but they look cool..

Something wasn't right if you had to install twice. Mine fit perfectly the first time.

R3dplanet said:

I use a Mopar mini starter and have easy access. I can swap the starter in 20 minutes.

Attachments

• DSC04891.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 642
Something wasn't right if you had to install twice. Mine fit perfectly the first time.

Actually no.

We had our original starter in the engine and we had to remove it. There just wasn't enough room to do this even with the header off...so we pulled the engine and replaced the starter will a small Dak one. Should have done that when we were doing our first install but we are on a strict budget.

I can see a whole lot of areas where this tight fit is going to give us pain...but they look cool and should do something for the engine and drivability :)

Looking at your pic, the compartment is different...do you have p/s ?

ian.

Try and find some spitfires. they drop right in. As long as you are not building a high hp engine they flow better then the 273 logs.

Attachments

• Newestspits.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 658
vitamindart or 66plyvaliant -
Can either of you please post a (top side) picture of your driver side magnum manifold and how the exhaust is routed under there? (bottom side)
thanks!

Actually no.

We had our original starter in the engine and we had to remove it. There just wasn't enough room to do this even with the header off...so we pulled the engine and replaced the starter will a small Dak one. Should have done that when we were doing our first install but we are on a strict budget.

I can see a whole lot of areas where this tight fit is going to give us pain...but they look cool and should do something for the engine and drivability :)

Looking at your pic, the compartment is different...do you have p/s ?

ian.

That makes sense. Full size starters won't work. No p/s on my car. It's a 410 stroker in a drag racer.

My 66 Barracuda ran high 12's with no headers, my current 65 Formula S basically stock 4bbl runs 15 sec Quarter Mile with no headers. Small blocks do not need them unless you are building a motor to go super fast! Reality is with some simple head work and good dual exhaust it will rock! Not much room inside the early A body for headers! I had my basic exhaust manifold works a little and the car runs like a rabbit on regular gas! One can make it work with simple things if you do it right the first time. I soon will be doing the same to my current Barracuda a little cam, a little head work, and some common upgrades it will run like my 66 did! Transmission is already built for the strip and rear is too! So Mopar or No Car is my Motto everyday! I will then just need to upgrade to high test gas! Varoom Varoom!!

65Cudalover!

Was on the phone today with Francisco from Sanderson. He shipped my DD8 driver side header on Monday and tracked it for me. Scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 27th. Will take pics and post when it is installed. The passenger side has not changed from the DD7 design.

Dougs, TTI, Spitfires, modified Hedman Tight Tubes, 340 manifolds, Dakota manifolds. Sorry, but if you're having exhaust nightmares with a small block in an early A body, something's wrong. Try a big block in an early A and check back with me.

I haven't looked closely at the motor mounts to see if this will work, but thought it was worth posting. If your problems with clearance are needing more vertical, you can shim the K member down some. I cut four 2x2 inch 1/2 inch thick blocks, drilled them, and used them to lower the whole k frame many years ago. If you can then raise the motor by shimming the mounts somehow, you will get some more clearance and your motor will stay at the same height if you can shim the mounts the same. This will affect front end alignment possibly, so that will need to be checked.

-
Back