Exhaust Question

-

73du5t3r

Small Block
Reaction score
ok im tired of fighting with myself, so i turn to you guys for help

i have a 73 318 duster stock block, mild cam, headers, intake, 600 carb 3500 stall and 410s in the rear right now it is just a street toy, im going to get exhaust on it this week and im having a hard time tring to figure out if i want 2 1/4 or 2 1/2. It is going to go from the headers to a H then a set of super 44's then to the axle and turn downs.

any help please, and i know it is kinda a stupid question but i have been killing myself over this (dont ask why)

anybody have the super 44's yet......what you think of them

and i think i might go with the mopar mech fuel pump 80 gph @8.7 psi

criticize away

P.S. im looking for a set of J heads if anybody has any in or around the stl let me know

thanks
Tim

personally i would go 2 1/2 or 3" so you are good to go if you want to upgrade the power plant.

2 1/4 should be adequate for your 318, but as abodyjoe says, why not just go ahead at this point and install 2 1/2 and be ready for possible future changes. Another item is, if you are looking for J-heads for that stock bottom 318, you would be way better off with a set of 302 heads or magnum heads, as far as performance. JMO, Mike

I agree with the 2 1/2 inch exhaust. You may want to look at an X-pipe instead of the H-pipe though. The X is a little better and costs about the same. The noise from the turn downs will be a little better to. I would think that a set of magnum heads, a cheap intake and a proper st of push rods would be a better combo in the long run over the J-heads and possibly a little cheaper if you left them stock. The 1.6 rockers would help in the lift of your cam if you went this way.

Jack

well alright 2 1/2 it is and as for the heads that might just work out i have a 318 magnum sitting in the garage it came out of my 93 ramcharger. I was scrolling through the forums and saw a magnum conversion thread i will go back and check it out. any recomendations on intakes and the best place to get one?

If you plan to drive the car anymore than 30 minutes at a time do yourself a favor and run the exhaust to the back bumper. Dumping at the wheels just makes the bottom of the car a sounding board for resonances and will result in the interior being very uncomfortable for long drives, especially if you are going to use the super 44 mufflers.

Also, I believe Flowmaster has minimum recomendations for pipe length after the muffler in order for them to scavenge properly.

The high pressure fuel pump will need to regulated. Why not use a high volume street pump that is internally regulated to 5-6 psi, it'll save some extra plumbing and expense of the external regulator.

As far as intakes go, a lot of people say that the Air Gap is the way to go. They're available from Mancini, Summit, and a bunch of other places. Mike

2-1/2 inch pipe size is excellent for a good powered street machine. It will handle alot of power. Like said above, check at the flowmaster web sire for tips on exhaust pipes and how they recomend things.

Thanks for all the help guys, i cant wait to get this thing back on the street its been way to long.

i did end up getting the Mopar Performance Mechanical Fuel Pump P4007040

66dartgt you really think that needs a regulator? i didnt think so cause the pressure that high.

-
Back