exhaust size

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok so im getting my exhaust done to 2.5in but i was wondering if i should get 3in mufflers so they slide a little over the pipe and makes it easier for welding. also were should i place the muffler behind the rear end or in front of it thanks

2.5" mufflers will be a liitle big to accomodate the 2.5" pipe

mufflers go before the rear end generally

and dont weld them..use a clamp

so your saying jsut go with 2.5 mufflers? and why not weld ? i want to prevent any leaks that might happen

2.5" mufflers are made to fit 2.5" pipe

you dont weld it becuase if you ever have to change the mufflers or a pipe you are screwed

I used some nice band type muffler clamps on mine, cost a little more , but doesnt distort the pipe

Exhaust pipe size should be determined by HP output. To large and low end torque sufers and general performance falls off. 2.5 is more than enuff for most street builds.

im am going 2.5 but im talking bout the muffler size becasue there are some 3in flowmasters on ebay for a good price.............

for a duster do i need offset inlet and center outlet or can it be offset,offset?

offset in/center out would be your best bet, and go ahead and weld them for a more secure fit, but do not go over 2 1/2 inch on muffler sizing. They should go in front of the rear axel.

I would talk to the exhaust shop that is doing the work for you before bidding on those and see how they feel. They should be able to expand the 2.5" pipe to fit the 3" muffler.

Flowmasters arent the best flowing muffler out there and the internals of them will be the same regardless of what size the inlet/outlet is. I'm willing to bet you wont see any difference in low end torque between the 2.5" muffler and the 3" mufflers. If you were to run a 3" pipe you may loose some torque though.

The end of the pipe will be 2 1/2" outside diameter. The inlet of the muffler will be 2 1/2'' inside diameter and should slide over the end of the pipe with no more than a light tap with a soft faced hammer. You can clamp or weld as you see fit. The band style clamps do work great and give you the option to change mufflers and pipes without cutting everything apart. Good luck!
toolmanmike

for how cheap those are...run 3" pipe all the way to those and just run a reducer...

-
Back