Exhaust Stud Leak at #8

-

JW MOPAR

Reaction score
I have a 1989 LA318 roller installed in my 65 Dart GT and can't get the exhaust stud at #8 cylinder yo quit leaking anti freeze. I have pulled the stud out twice now and applied Permatex high temp thread sealer and it still leaks. Also put in a leak stopper in the system. Any suggestions/fixes would be greatly appreciated

Did you let the sealant dry before reintroducing coolant?

@furrystamp I just checked that area and it appears to be dry. I read a thread on bbodys and I'm going to try the Ultra Copper rtv on the studs unless I hear something different hear. Thanks!

what/which sealer were you using? some don't play nice with glycol or high heat.

@junkyardhero the top sealant was the one I was using and the bottom one is what I plan on using next.

20240304_122719.jpg

is that 59214?

they make a bunch of stuff in a similar tube...

I had the same thing. Drained the antifreeze, removed the stud, cleaned and dried the stud and hole and re installed with red locktite. Let sit for 48 hours. Problem solved. Good luck.

hm. interesting.

if you can find 57506, that may be worth a try. or hylomar if you can find it.

if you're reusing the stud, try a new one with fresh threads as the old one might be sloppy fitting.

I had the same thing. Drained the antifreeze, removed the stud, cleaned and dried the stud and hole and re installed with red locktite. Let sit for 48 hours. Problem solved. Good luck.
this is great advice. clean and dry for best results!

Thanks all for the advice. I cleaned everything up and dried it all out. Squirted the stud holes full of Ultra Copper and put all back together. Going to ket it sit for 3 days and then fill back up with coolant. I'll let you know how it turns out. Very frustrating to say the least. Trying to get it ready for Good Guys in Scottsdale in a couple of weeks.

Use the correct sealant for the job. Silicone gasket maker is not a thread sealant. When the ultra copper leaks, clean it all up again and use this….

image.jpg

Use the correct sealant for the job. Silicone gasket maker is not a thread sealant. When the ultra copper leaks, clean it all up again and use this….

View attachment 1716216565

View attachment 1716216565
Thank you @TT5.9mag ! Hopefully I won't to pull it apart again but if I do I will certainly consider your suggestion. Made note of it.

The copper will work fine. The stud should have enough shoulder as in thread to stud to butt against and seal that with that copper RTV

Is there enough thread to double nut to tighten stud well without touching manifold ? And or figure a way to do it with a bolt and nut at end of stud. Worth a little extra umph imo.

-
Back