Exhaust swap from 4 door to 2 door...

-

Button

74 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
We have a 73 four door and a 74 two door and we bought the 4 door as a parts car and it has a new dual exhaust system. We would like to transfer it, but is there a big issue with wheelbases and mounting points?

000_1159.jpg

000_1170.jpg

000_1182.jpg

I don't know but it seems like you could hack off any extra length in the right spots and either get them welded back together or add a coupler of some kind.

Theres 3 inches difference. I think it could be cut out most anywhere along the same run as the driveshaft.

We hope to get up under the car this weekend and really get a good look at the exhaust system. The welding job looks shabby but the pipe and mufflers are less than a year old. The 4 door will probably just get a "rigged" system anyways, but the 2 door I want to have a decent system on it that a 16 year old driving it to H.S. as his first car won't be embarrassed to drive. That's him behind the wheel of the 2 door.

Off topic byt I feel the importance. My kids drove old mopars too. Today they have kids of their own.
I have to suggest some aftermarket seatbelts for jumior and his passenger
( girlfriend ). The seperate shoulder belt from the factory is a crock and never gets both worn and stored.
The belts you want are the conversion van type. They have a drop loop from the roof making them more comfortable at the shoulder.
Here's another tip... whether you pay for them or junior pays for them, make junior install them. The more effort he puts into seatbelts the more
adament he will be about buckling up himself and his passengers.
From the heart with the voice of experience. Happy moparing

I want to have a decent system on it that a 16 year old driving it to H.S. as his first car won't be embarrassed to drive.

Heck, I would have killed for ANY car to drive to school when I was 16! I was either on the bus or at the mercy of my friends until I was a junior. Then i got the old family truckster so I could go to work after school. I think your kid has a lot to be proud of. The fact that he will be driving. The fact that he will be driving a classic Mopar. The fact that he put so much effort into his own ride. And the fact that his Dad helped him do it. You should be proud too!

Oh, and X2 on the seatbelts. Just because a kid loves his car does not mean that he will always have the best judgement!

Heck, I would have killed for ANY car to drive to school when I was 16!

I hear yah, my first motorized vehicle was an Indian moped!
It's like the old saying..Moped's are like fat chick's, fun to ride but you don't want your friend's to see you with it....or something like that.

The ride is looking good Button.:cheers: Your thread was one of the first one's I checked out when I started lurking around here. I have seen picture's of your son doing quite a bit of work on his car. Keep it up.
Like everyone noted, you should have no prob. with the exhaust after a few minor tweaks.

He will probablyhave one of the coolest car in the lot at his HS. keep us updated.

Its a direct swap hangers and all both are 111" w.b cars, theres no difference in wheelbase between 2&4 doors if they are the same model except a Scamp which is a Dart with a Valiant nose.

67-76 Darts and 70+ Scamps are 111" -- Valiants, A-cudas, duster/demons are 108"

Thanks MoparJoe, I probably could have "Googled" the info but I did actually think the 4 door had a longer wheelbase. I cleaned the plugs in the 4 door and added some oil and that alone made it quieter and smoother. I actually wish it didn't run so I wouldn't feel so bad about "gutting" the car. So now plans have changed quite a bit. We're going to take all the better parts from this car and place them into the 2 door, (dash, instruments, seats, pedals, emergency brake handle, etc). We'll tint the windoews black and paint the car black and white to resemble a Police car from 1970's. I want to find an era correct Police light bar. Then at car shows we'll set them so it appears one has pulled over the other.

Thanks MoparJoe, I probably could have "Googled" the info but I did actually think the 4 door had a longer wheelbase. I cleaned the plugs in the 4 door and added some oil and that alone made it quieter and smoother. I actually wish it didn't run so I wouldn't feel so bad about "gutting" the car. So now plans have changed quite a bit. We're going to take all the better parts from this car and place them into the 2 door, (dash, instruments, seats, pedals, emergency brake handle, etc). We'll tint the windoews black and paint the car black and white to resemble a Police car from 1970's. I want to find an era correct Police light bar. Then at car shows we'll set them so it appears one has pulled over the other.

MoparJoe is right on with wheelbases. The only difference you may want to address is that the tailpipe sticking out from under the bumper of the 74 would get crushed if the car bottomed out on a ramp. IMO a pair of turn-downs forward of the bumper would get the exhaust into the air stream and not have the same potential for being crushed.

FWIW the tailpipe length is the same for all. There is a difference between with and without tips. (Don't recommend running tips with the 74 for reasons stated earlier.) With the wheelbase difference, the exhaust pipe is also different.

-
Back