Exhaust upgrade to a 360 Duster!

-

Dusted27

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Had a question, i installed hooker headers on my 74 plymouth duster and noticing a couple small issues! 1st: does anybody make a small enough starter to fit in the opening underneath? the stock starter does not fit and i have to lift the motor and disconnect the header to have enough room to remove it! I seen these mini starters online and was wondering if anybody has gone this route and did it work, or will you still have to unbolt things to get it in? 2nd: I have my steering bar shooting through the headers (only way it will fit, and i am noticing that the steering bar is touching the headers (keep in mind that i do have the car suspended up in the air with the front hanging, so i have not tried to lower the car back on the ground and see what clearance i have. just thought i would ask before putting the wheels back on to lower it and than lift it back up. Just curious what Duster guys out there have tried and ran into these two issues. Thanks in advance for any knowledge on this problem.

A mini starter helps a bunch, though some have a odd spot for the wife's to connect. Close to the block.

The steering linkage hitting the tubes while up in the air is of little concern unless you plan to be air horn a lot. It should be horrible anyway.
When the car is lowered, it should clear up very well.

The mini starters from later model dodge trucks and Dakota's work great but the wire terminals point up instead of to the front. A guy on here was selling adapters to make the studs point forwrd, making them easier to get at but after reading his ad, there were 30 people trying to buy his remaining stock. Hope you have better luck with those hookers then I did. I had 3 different sets, all new, and switched them out after a few months.

Should have asked for a header recommendation before buying the Hooker headers had them on a former duster they sit way too low,steering linkage goes through the driver side ect ect...on an A-body TTI's an Dougs are the most recommended much easier to install and remove and the mini-starter goes in and out no problem..

what Hookers are we talking about-part # - or size? I have had 5303 1.875" that fit no problem with a stock starter. and 1.750" that fit no problem.

DSCF0266.JPG

The Booker competition headers are very poor quality from my experience. Flanges and collectors leak like crazy. One new set on an old dart I had broke a tube off at the flange in 2 months. The others leaked, didn't fit without denting and bending, then rusted out right away. I've had a set of headman huslers with 3 1/2 inch collectors and 1 3/4" primates on my 69 4 speed swinger for over 30 years. Still have original gaskets and no leaks. For the money, you can't beat the Herman street headers. Have a set on my truck. Fit perfect,don't leak and love the ball/ socket collector flange. Come with gaskets and bolts for $200

Marco, that would be the typical 1-5/8, 1 size fits all header. The same design copied by every other manufacturer out there except TTI and dougs.

Yeah, when the suspension droops the tierods run downhill, but the C-link is suspended by the arms and hardly moves at all.
If you drive that header on the street, you will need to re-engineer your ride-height/alignment, or rubbing speed-bumps will get old in a hurry.You will need a skid-plate/wear strip welded on.lol. I hated that.
As to the mini-starter, I grabbed one out from under the workbench so cannot say what it vehicle it came from,BUT, it had a bolt-on terminal-plate,which I had to get rid of, and then the factory wiring fit ok.It mightabin off a Dakota....

Duster27, a picture (or pictures) would say a thousand words. Re: the starter. The mini has already been suggested and the terminal connection issue addressed.

As for one of the primaries making contact with the steering shaft, depending on where the contact is being made and how bad it is, there could be different remedies. Actually putting the wheels on and lowering it and making some front end adjustments was suggested. You could also see if your motor is properly centered. A couple of our solutions when we were young were to shim the motor a bit and/or mark the contact, remove the primary tube/entire header and ding the area for clearance. Nobody wants to ding their headers (especially when new) but sometimes that's the frugal fix. Good luck.

Thanks everybody for all your input! I really do appreciate it! so it sounds like to me, is go with the mini starter and dump the 1 5/8" headers! I did buy the hooker performance headers 1 5/8" I will do some good research on headers before i buy again! Sounds like the super comps might be the way to go! I have had this car since my days in High school and over 20 years have beaten the hell out of it! Now that i am older i respect it a lot more and want it built right! I have rebuilt this whole car from bumper to bumper and has been my grandpa's since 74. more of a family member then just a car. I really do appreciate you all chiming in with your experiences!

What engine combo are you running? I'd stay away from the big tubes and the super comps unless you're running something real hot with ported or aftermarket heads. The 1 5/8 Headers are perfectly fine for 90% of street driven cars

I am running a 360 with a 727. I went ahead and installed the 1 5/8" headers since i have them. I have my clearance for my steering figured out now! I installed the OEM starter, so i figure when i have to replace it i will install the mini starter. I had the motor pulled up to drill/tap/cap the smog ports on the heads (forgot to do that) and wanted to get some clarification and opinions before i dropped it back in. Thanks everybody!

You forgot to drill and tap the smog holes in the head? The fix is JB Weld.

A mini starter helps a bunch, though some have a odd spot for the wife's to connect. Close to the block.

The steering linkage hitting the tubes while up in the air is of little concern unless you plan to be air horn a lot. It should be horrible anyway.
When the car is lowered, it should clear up very well.

You connecting you wife to the starter again? I'll suggest it to my wife. Then I'll tell you how many of my teeth she knocked out.

what Hookers are we talking about-part # - or size? I have had 5303 1.875" that fit no problem with a stock starter. and 1.750" that fit no problem.

View attachment 1714983399

That is by far, the best fitting, best general header for A bodies around. The 5204 Hookers are second.

They don't make that header any more. I know there is a set for sale here. I should buy them.

LAMO! Great catch and jokes by the way!
Yup! WIRES! Not saying the wife wouldn't deserve some wiring to be done. Get her arse outta bed right quick. Though.... not a good way to "Turn her on!"
ROFLMAO!

-
Back