exhaust

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will post this here as it might get more views. getting ready to have exhaust pipes bent for the 65 dart, original 225 slant. will get 2 in pipes. since i'm getting old and deft , I want a muffler I can hear but not sound like the idiot neighbor down the road! LOL
this is an economy job. would a trush glasspack or cheap turbo be better choice. ?didn't want an $80 muffler. thanks

years ago i made my own muffler for my 1964 / 6. i used a 3 " pipe. with a 2 1/4 as the in side pipe with holes in it. that slide in side the 3 " pipe. and the inside pipe can be re moved to have an open pipe. a slant 6 does not make so much noise that you can run open pipe on the high way.

years ago i made my own muffler for my 1964 / 6. i used a 3 " pipe. with a 2 1/4 as the in side pipe with holes in it. that slide in side the 3 " pipe. and the inside pipe can be re moved to have an open pipe. a slant 6 does not make so much noise that you can run open pipe on the high way.

interesting idea. a straight thru pipe on cummins diesel I've had, good mellow sound and not loud. are you talking heavy tubing or schedule 40 or 80 pipe? haow many holes and how big??? ya got me wondering!! I got pipe...

Keep in mind that your Cummins has the turbo to act as a muffler... your /6 does not, so it wil not be like the Cummins. Put some fiberglass packing between the pipes and you have a crude glasspack.

Hit Craigslist and try to find a solid, used Flowmaster. I've got a 2.25 inch in and out on my 64 170 daily driver and it sounds perfect! Rumbles like an 8 at idle and low speeds, screams like a banshee when you spin it to valve float.
Muffler is mounted in stock location with just a short turndown in front of the axle.
Should be able to find one in the $20-30 range.

I would bump the pipes up to 2 1/2. That is what was on my Feather Duster when it was stock. A turbo muffler and tail pipe will keep it Quite enough. Just order pipes for the 1976 Feather Duster.

I will post this here as it might get more views. getting ready to have exhaust pipes bent for the 65 dart, original 225 slant. will get 2 in pipes. since i'm getting old and deft , I want a muffler I can hear but not sound like the idiot neighbor down the road! LOL
this is an economy job. would a trush glasspack or cheap turbo be better choice. ?didn't want an $80 muffler. thanks

Why would you run a dual exhaust system on an inline engine? For looks, added cost and to add unneeded to weight to an anemic engined car? I'm ASSuming?

I ran a single 3" on my slant. The header had a 3" collector, just made sense. My everyday driver, also a straight 6 (cummins) single 5". I always laugh at the guy with dual exhaust on their cummins trucks. But hey, to each their own.

We have dual 2" dynomax super turbos on our 65 Wagon and it's quiet at idle and will rumble a little when revved. They are not too expensive also.

Why would you run a dual exhaust system on an inline engine? For looks, added cost and to add unneeded to weight to an anemic engined car? I'm ASSuming?

WHY NOT??? :evil3:

PS. You should never ASSuME... :D

WHY NOT??? :evil3:

PS. You should never ASSuME... :D

Couldn't think of any other reasons unless you had a set of those 2 piece, 3-1 headers.

I agree with you on those turbos.

If you like glasspacks try the hushpowers. They seem gimmickey but aren't. They really work

i went back and foruth on weather to put a glass pak on my dart or the flo-masters. no they arent quite on the open road but not bad around town. i am glad i went with the flo-masters and the sound makes everyone think i have a V-8 in the dart. i get called a liar lots, lol. i'm lovin it

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 002.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 138
a local exhaust bender will do the pipes. 2 1/4 is bout as big as they want to do because of room, in engine compartment,,, and most slant guys say this is fine. I could do 2 1/2 from muffler back.

-
Back