Expensive RV's and road trips LMAO

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Years ago I had several amateur radio friends who all sounded alike. ***** every week about how much the motor home costs them sitting there to keep up. Then the week AFTER a big ham radio "hamfest" You ask "so how did the motorhome do?"

"Didn't take it, lol, stayed in a motel."

So I just got off the phone with a friend who just made a 6800mi road trip from the N end of Idaho to "back east" and back, several states. He mentioned how many miles they tried to average, and I mentioned "sounded tiring" for this old man.

They have recently bought a new whatever-they-are Ford 4 dr twin turbo "econosomething" pickup with the 1 foot long bed, and a trailer with a slide out and huge gigantic sofa. I have no idea what the whole mess weighs

"Didn't take it. Drove the car"

LOL

I have 2015 Ram 3500 HO 6 speed aisin with 4:10 gears and pull a 37’ 2008 Montana 5ver. Anytime I have the chance I am on the road. The gulf coast beaches lure me the most. It all cost $ but life is short. Y’all northwesterners procrastinate to much.

Last week!

E7823B2B-F69C-41EC-91D4-7BE2280D8559.jpeg

Last edited:
just for what the RV insurance alone would cost, you could stay at a four or five star hotel.

I usually go for a month every year for vacation and 4 to 6 trips for car and craft shows. minimum of 5 days each trip(thursday-friday driving to and setup) sat-sun showing or buying,and monday tuesday heading home.
My (paid for, so no payment) 2001 27ft allegro with 1 slide out costs me $365.00 a year with full coverage and unlimited miles. I get 11MPG in it tow-dollying a toad and use it extensively going to northern car shows and craft fairs for my cnc woodworking. If I stayed at hotels every time I'd be in the hole over 4k just this year alone. Plus I can take my 3 Pugs with us and not worry about finding a kennel or paying for on (another expense of $175.00 per week) so nope not even close. The complainers probably bought new and didn't plan/think on the expensive payment and other stuff, I'd love to have a new diesel pusher, but at over 400k it ain't happening, all my rigs have been used and less that 14k in cost. suits me and works just fine since the previous owners did all the needed upgrades for me at their cost thinking they would keep it forever.

Rookies.... left at 0430, arrived at 1430. 538 miles, one fuel stop, one bathroom stop for the kids, one lunch stop. We're in seiverville, Tennessee until Friday when we head east to Myrtle Beach, SC for week 2.

20180615_191938.jpg

What's the insurance on a diesel pusher?

depends on the year and cost, newer costs more and they(the insurance) rape you on it. I try to stay on the 7-15 year margin since it seems to be the cheapest over 15 years can cost as much as a new purchase.
My older diesel 40 footer was just under $600.00 per year for a it. I paid 14k for a 15 year old well maintained (129k new)unit. I got 14MPG in that beast but it was a bit under-powered only having 375hp. I downsized when the kids got older and didn't want to travel with us old folks. it could sleep 8 my current one does 4 and I'm ok with that since it fits in my garage if I need to work on it.

Rookies.... left at 0430, arrived at 1430. 538 miles, one fuel stop, one bathroom stop for the kids, one lunch stop. We're in seiverville, Tennessee until Friday when we head east to Myrtle Beach, SC for week 2.

View attachment 1715188333

Myrtle beach is not a real beach! Been there done that, good for kids though. The Gulf coast rocks!

Nice rig though and sure you and the family enjoyies it!

Last edited:
The Ram had a Fetal flaw and a buy back recall. The front suspension was designed wrong causing tie rod ends to shear off...

The Ram had a Fetal flaw and a buy back recall. The front suspension was designed wrong causing tie rod ends to shear off...

Have not had that issue, why is the pin so far back on the F? That must be a poor ride!

Have not had that issue, why is the pin so far back on the F? That must be a poor ride!
The PIN is 2 inches in front of the rear axle. It pulls very nice. The trailer manufactures are pandering to Guys with 6 ft beds, so they make a extended pin box as normal equipment. Truck has a Factory installed Fifth wheel hitch setup.

My Ram is an 8’ bed and the pin is dead on top of the axle. Your F looks like a slider in a short bed!

My Ram is an 8’ bed and the pin is dead on top of the axle. Your F looks like a slider in a short bed pushed out for maneuvering.

$500 1999 or 2000 jeep grand POS.
$300-$400 for gas and gas station snacks.
$300-$400 for hotels.
$200-$400 for food.
$10/month insurance since my Barracuda is listed as the daily driver.
Cats stay at home with two litter boxes and giant bowls of food and water.
1500-1600 miles. Four days. Napa -> Winnemucca -> Nampa/Boise -> Bend -> Napa.

We got off the interstate at Winnemucca, and only got back on it in Weed, CA. Staying off the interstates was the best.

NEWS: Chrysler is recalling certain 2008-2012 RAM 2500 4X4 and 3500 4X4 trucks
Report Receipt Date: NOV 06, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V529000
Component(s): STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 265,044

NOVEMBER 2013 - Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2008-2012 RAM 2500 4X4 and 3500 4X4 trucks. The left tie rod assembly may break. A failure of the tie rod assembly may result in a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash. Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a new left tie rod assembly, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in December 2013. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N49. This recall supersedes tie rod recall 10V657. Vehicles that were previously remedied under recall 10V657 are also affected by this campaign. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov..

MORE RECALL INFO:

My Ram is an 8’ bed and the pin is dead on top of the axle. Your F looks like a slider in a short bed pushed out for maneuvering.
Nope it is 2 inches in front, where it should be, not directly on top. Actually it should be 1.5 to 2 inches in front. Just the pin box is extended, pin is perfect. That is the norm now. That F pulls that 20K LB fifth wheel like a dream.

I will take that chance in my 2015, it is a hauling beast! It also has the factory 5ver setup and I use a B&W hitch. I had to replace my base as the 2000 3500 had a turnover ball set-up. The new B&W base is like twice the weight as the old unit but at least I kept my top plate assembly.

I will take that chance in my 2015, it is a hauling beast! It also has the factory 5ver setup and I use a B&W hitch. I had to replace my base as the 2000 3500 had a turnover ball set-up. The new B&W base is like twice the weight as the old unit but at least I kept my top plate assembly.
Very good hitches....:thumbsup:

-
Back