Experience with Firm Feel Stage 3 Power Steering Box?

-

68GTconvert

Reaction score
Anyone have first hand experience with Firm Feel Stage 3 Power Steering Box? It was my plan to go this route with my dart gts. Should I bother or just swap to manual steering. I am looking for my car to be a street and corner handling car. Is handling possible with power steering? It always feels too loose with mopars.

............U can adjust the pressure way down in the saginaw pumps so much that u have manual feel steering, parking is a chore.........kim.......

Do it to it. You can adjust the shim pack (Dig through your old Mopar Action mags) on your stock pump, but the FFI unit right, tight, and always polite.

Mine feels about like my '96 Neon, great feel and response, and I couldn't be happier. My Grandma could probably still drive it, too.

FWIW, I got the FFI modded K-frame and everything else at the same time, so I don't know how much of it is related to that, but the steering box is slop free and I 100% recommend it.

Anyone have first hand experience with Firm Feel Stage 3 Power Steering Box? It was my plan to go this route with my dart gts. Should I bother or just swap to manual steering. I am looking for my car to be a street and corner handling car. Is handling possible with power steering? It always feels too loose with mopars.

I went with the Stage 2 in my '74 Duster. The reason why I went with Stage 2 is based on the recommendations from Dick at Firm Feel. I am very happy with how it turned out. The car is a real joy to drive.

When I had the factory box I felt one little bump would put me in the ditch! lol! (Though the factory box could have been worn out too)

Give them a call and see what they recommend for your application.

Best of luck!

Do it to it. You can adjust the shim pack (Dig through your old Mopar Action mags) on your stock pump, but the FFI unit right, tight, and always polite.

Mine feels about like my '96 Neon, great feel and response, and I couldn't be happier. My Grandma could probably still drive it, too.

FWIW, I got the FFI modded K-frame and everything else at the same time, so I don't know how much of it is related to that, but the steering box is slop free and I 100% recommend it.

Great thanks for the first hand info. That is what I wanted to hear.

I had Stage II and upgraded to Stage III when it sprang a leak. I can turn the wheel with one hand at a rest. You get great feed back. Combined with Firm Feel upper control arms, sway bars, pitman arm bearing, and Ehrinburg's pump pressure reduction, it drives like a sports car.

I have a stage III in my 69 B-body and it is perfect! I was originally worried that it would be to tight but it is not, I can park it with one finger and 60+ MPH its has zero slop! You won't be disappointed !

I had Stage II and upgraded to Stage III when it sprang a leak. I can turn the wheel with one hand at a rest. You get great feed back. Combined with Firm Feel upper control arms, sway bars, pitman arm bearing, and Ehrinburg's pump pressure reduction, it drives like a sports car.

"Ehrinburg's pump pressure reduction" never heard of this. Please explain?

I have a stage III in my 69 B-body and it is perfect! I was originally worried that it would be to tight but it is not, I can park it with one finger and 60+ MPH its has zero slop! You won't be disappointed !

Nice. Is your suspension stock?

I know a couple guys running the stage 2 box. They love it but would go stage 3 if the did it over. Know another guy running the stage 3 and he loves it.

Well I am getting the stage three box, I am about to pull my front K member and suspension so I will have the core to send them. Thanks for all the comments

As far as the washers, several ideas from other threads on other forums and here, was to take washers from another pump( that is junk or core) or using brake line caliper washers. Also relatively cheap ones should be available from a hardware/ fastener supplier.

I adjusted the pressure down in my pump and it made a HUGE difference in the way the car handles. I did not have the $$ for a FFI box but had a whole drawer full of washers and a grinder. Easy mod and does not cost anything.

just a thought,a smaller steering wheel will make it harder to turn.i had a grant 13" with a stage 2 gearbox and you had to be carefull with rear coming around when getting on it as it can be hard to correct.went back to stock steering wheel and all is well.

Ordered my stage three box. 4 week wait but I am not really in a hurry anyways since I need paint first.

Just went for the first test-drive after having fitted my Stage II PS box.
My only regret was that I didn't do this many years ago!

The steering is still fairly light, but that suits me since I'm running the factory look and the stock steering wheel. All the slop from the old worn out box is completely gone and the feel was dramatically improved, it's better than my 90's Subaru legacy Which I use as a winter car. (which is still quite a good car for its age).

This was worth every cent, and the fact that my car can now handle has only shored up my determination to invest in a full body restauration and a future (I hope Hemi III) upgrade.

The guys at firm-feel were allso very helpfull and friendly on the phone, got everything shipped to my hotel for my stay in the USA! :)

You're welcome!

Trust me, you've got something to look forward to! :)

PS, make sure you have a fresh bottle of servo-fluid handy! ;-)

-
Back