Expert opinions on Disk brake spindles

-

drp2671

Reaction score
First of all I wasn't certain this should go in the brake section or the steering section, but since it's one of the major components to a brake upgrade I figured this was the better forum. Now, my question for the experts is, looking at these pictures of the spindles. Can y'all say that they are safe to use or are they shot? Because the one looks pretty well chewed up a bit...the other one's not so bad. Let me know what you fellas think!

Attachments

• SANY0075.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 239
  • SANY0076.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 234
  • SANY0074.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 213
  • SANY0065.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 228
  • SANY0066.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 204
  • SANY0067.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 232
  • SANY0068.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 239
  • SANY0069.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 234
  • SANY0073.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 222
What chewed that one spindle? If it spun a bearing, I wouldn't use it. If it just had a touch of rust, it should clean up. I'd slide a bearing over the section on which they will ride and see how tight they fit.

I'd be looking for another one. There's no telling where the chewed up one is locating that outer bearing in relation to the inner.

So then, one good spindle and one piece of scrap metal! LOL!
Hey, anybody need one good spindle?

What chewed that one spindle? If it spun a bearing, I wouldn't use it. If it just had a touch of rust, it should clean up. I'd slide a bearing over the section on which they will ride and see how tight they fit.

I don't know exactly what happened to it, I pulled it off my car about 5 or 6 years ago. When I bought it, I started going over the car looking for issues that would need to be repaired or replaced and when I got to the brakes I pulled the wheel off and it had a crap load of play on the rotor. Pulled the rotor off and that's what I found. Strangely though I don't recall the bearings being bad on it though....of course that could just be my foggy memory too....

The part that matters is the surdaces where the bearing races sit. You could just sand the rust off the rest of it. With new seals, caps, and grease , it shouldn't rust again.

The part that matters is the surdaces where the bearing races sit. You could just sand the rust off the rest of it. With new seals, caps, and grease , it shouldn't rust again.

I don't know, in that last picture it's a little hard to see but there is a pretty nasty gouge where the front bearing sits on the spindle.

-
Back