EXTENDED STORAGE OF A REBUILT 727

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Just finished up the rebuild of my 1971 727. Does anyone see an issue with storing it upright on it's bell for an extended period (maybe a couple of years depending on the paint shop lol). The trans has no fluid in it. Tips on sealing the new input shaft seal area would be welcomed as well. Thanks

Depending on humidity in your area I would grease the input and output shafts.
Tape plastic bags on both ends to help reduce moisture. Being rebuilt clutches/bands should have been soaked with trans fluid along with other internal parts during assembly. Place in a dry area as possible.

They use to sell storage plug kits.

20230408_091834.jpg

I don't know what happened to the link but I found a 40 piece set of plugs on Amazon for 10 bucks.

Does anyone know if someone makes a 8 3/4 storage box?

I did that with two rebuilt trans, put a piece of plywood down and tipped them up. 5 years later I went to use them, input shaft and front of pump were rusty and seal was wasted. I would not do it that way again...

My son has a72 fury wagon, came with an incomplete 318 in it, (basically a short block) the last renewal was 1979. He bought an 83 D250 (used to be mine) back from the guy I sold it to. The KD was laying on the intake, we have no idea how long, just that it was connected and working as intended when I sold that truck over 10 years ago.
So we had "cold feet" about using the trans out of the truck. He took a chance on the one that came to us in the wagon, pulled the pan and did fluid/filter, put the engine out of my old truck in front of the car's trans, and crossed fingers. So far that 727 that has sat apparently since 1979 is surprisingly working just fine. He wants to go thru the one that came out of my old truck when we have time and have it here as a "backup". Though I don't think he'll put 3000 miles on that wagon this year...... The one In the car date codes out to the same time the car was first built, and I know for sure that the one out of the truck was original to that truck.
I was quite surprised the one from the car took off and appears just fine after having sat that long.

Thanks for everyone's input. I made an insert out of aluminum the exact dimensions as the torque converter snout, and machined the pump slots into it. I then made an insert out of a hockey puck that pressed into the aluminum insert that had a friction fit with the input shaft splines. This will keep gravity from allowing it fall off in the vertical position. The seal and all of the splines of the input, and reaction shaft have been generously lubed with Vaseline, and the outer tip of the insert was sealed with Gorilla tape. There should be no moisture getting in from the pump side. I used a driveshaft yoke to seal the other end. I am going to store it vertically on a wheeled dolly in an area that is heated in the winter. I hope this will suffice? I don't want any issues! Thanks again all :thumbsup:

-
Back