extreme hole drilling

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Watched an episode of Supreme Skills Japanese contest show. Contest was to drill a .3mm hole in a .5mm pencil lead to 60mm deep. EDM vs. Lathe. Shot in a studio "Forged in Iron" style with their own tools and pre-recorded backstories of their shops. Interesting with hilarious over the top English dubbing.

PS>>>> the lathe wins! He broke one in practice and said there was too much friction on the shank..in graphite? so he increases the flute depth....and breaks through again, loss of rigidity. I said to myself, "short flute, reduce the shank.." and 30 seconds later the guy had a revelation...reduce the shank! Bingo...success, while the EDM guy burned through his at about 40 and only got 12mm through the 2nd lead before the 2 hour time limit expired.

I can't stand these types of videos, and "speak 'murican" dammit LMAO. I had to go find an online mm/ inches converter, so we are talking, about .010"?

"Simple" stuff like hypodermic needles comes to mind. One chart ends at 34 ga, which is .00725" OD, and a measly "about" .003 ID. Considering the thing has to be tempered, sharp and strong to penetrate "someone" that is fairly exciting

graphite is a lot softer than stainless steel, and I believe needles are rolled and drawn. Still a pretty amazing feat on a manual machine.

-
Back