extreme wheel alignment problem -- need help

-

TheBigE

70 Duster - Slant 6
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've been driving my new to me 70 Duster for about 1500 miles this summer between the raindrops. I got the slant 6 running reasonably well. When I first got the car the alignment was terrible, it went all over the place and the steering wheel didn't return to center.

Got it aligned and it drove very nicely, just a very slight pull to the left. Nothing I couldn't handle. Then last weekend I parked with my front tires turned all the way to the left and noticed that both tires were shaven down very bald,especially on the outside half of the treads. So this is bad after only 1500 miles to go from tires with about 1/2 their tread left to nothing.

I don't think I'm extremely toed-out(but I'll have this checked out), I just seem to have alot of positive camber. The tops of my front tires are visually way more out than the bottom of the tire. Now that I look at it from about 20 feet away in front of the car.

I'm hoping I don't have extreme front end problems and it's weird that the alignment shop didn't notice this.

But anyway I was reading the thread in this forum by Zinger74, alignment issues, #67779. I didn't realize that tire wear can be greatly affected by ride height through the torsion bars. I'm unclear though if i need to raise or lower the front end to get rid of my positive camber??

Thanks for any help.

The Big E

For sure get a new alignment shop. what I would do is set the ride height to where you want it then go get the alignment done. you might have control arm bushing or ball joint problems so just jack the front end up and try to wiggle the wheel up and down and side to side. if its really bad you will notice it. but again the shop should look for those things during an alignment. quite a few shops these days seem to think a toe setting is all they need to set and thats a bunch of b.s.

I have to agree with finding a new alignment shop. No way it should be like that after 1500 miles unless there are some worn parts, or shoddy work. Let them set the height once they find the issues (new shop).

Good luck.

I,m also interested in your tire brand?Tire pressure?Pics.?1500 and both tires wearing seems strange.

check lower control arm bushings, mine was a similar story...

Ernie, if you can't find anyone around London, PM me. There's an oldtimer alignment guy here in Stratford that likes to work on the old stuff! He just did Dad's 69 last week; night+day difference.

Thanks for all the info gang. I just yesterday searched all over London for 2 good used tires to put on the Duster so I can drive it to the alignment shop. P225/70's for 14 inch rims are hard to find. But I guess they were made by Firestone up to the 80's for some trucks? Anyway I got 2 real nice ones that were used as spares...they still have the nubs on them!

I'll keep everyone updated.

the big E

Make sure you get a print out, that way you can look over what they done. Most shops now just make sure it is within specs but that is not an alignment.

Hi folks. Problem now solved with my Duster's alignment.

The lower control arm bushing bolts had been loosened, then the car put back on the ground, then the bolts retightened. Apparently the bushings and all were fine and recently replaced but then not installed right. There was tension on them when the car was on the ground, weight on the wheels.
So the alignment looks good!!!!!! I've attached the pics of the abused tires.

Unfortunately I lost my job last night, permanent layoff. So look for the Duster on sale here very, very soon.

The Big E

P1040804.jpg

P1040805.jpg

P1040806.jpg

-
Back