Extremely Hypothetical Question

-
Gotta go with the 66,...Way classier,...The 442 will never meet my expectations after owning a 455 powered 73 442,...But, I'm pretty sure my cats have parts stashed for the 87,..very common...

I don't really care much for either car.

But if I had to choose one, I would go with the 66 just because its a more sought after and collectable car. Because I would eventually have to sell it and buy a Mopar!:-D

Gotta go with the 66,...Way classier,...The 442 will never meet my expectations after owning a 455 powered 73 442,...But, I'm pretty sure my cats have parts stashed for the 87,..very common...

Ohh, I don 't know...I suspect one of [ame=http://www.mondellotwister.com/articles/UnsungHero.pdf]THESE[/ame] in that 87 would make you forget that 73. :D

Hey, front wheel drive cars can be a lot of fun.....

My buddy and I used to back his sisters 73'/74' Saab into their uphill driveway and try to do wheelies in reverse...lol.

Final score: Fried clutch 1 - Wheelies 0 :D:D:D

Still wrong wheel drive.

And the "Nailhead" was never installed in any Oldsmobile.

There are vast differences in the front wheel drive system used in the 66 Toronado, than in any of the transverse 4, V6, and V8 cars.
It's different technology, and much better technology.

I'm not a FWD lover, either, the Toronado is an exception that I'd make in a NY minute.

...but you're right about the Nailheads.

Ohh, I don 't know...I suspect one of THESE in that 87 would make you forget that 73. :D

I rather doubt that, But that is an Interesting article on the 403,,...Although I've always liked Olds cars. Finding and building one of these apparently rare blocks would be more time/money than I want to spend to make an anemic 3o7 powered Cutlass into a (real) 442....

Compared to my 73 with its 455, T-20 and 10 bolt posi. That car had an EEEEnourmous amount of lo end grunt, enough to bark all four gears at 1500 rpm without using the clutch.

There are vast differences in the front wheel drive system used in the 66 Toronado, than in any of the transverse 4, V6, and V8 cars.
It's different technology, and much better technology.

I'm not a FWD lover, either, the Toronado is an exception that I'd make in a NY minute.

...but you're right about the Nailheads.

Still front wheel drive. Polish that terd all you want...it still stinks. Wrong wheel drive sucks. It sucked then, it sucks now, and it will suck forever.

I rather doubt that, But that is an Interesting article on the 403,,...Although I've always liked Olds cars. Finding and building one of these apparently rare blocks would be more time/money than I want to spend to make an anemic 3o7 powered Cutlass into a (real) 442....

Compared to my 73 with its 455, T-20 and 10 bolt posi. That car had an EEEEnourmous amount of lo end grunt, enough to bark all four gears at 1500 rpm without using the clutch.

That 403 would have a G-body sucking the doors off your 73...at any speed, standing start to 100+MPH. (Note: a 1973 Olds 455 was a low-compression engine with only 250HP.)

How 'bout a Toro with a big block at each end? Both of these cars have the rear engine/trans unit.....the rear seat actually fits back in (barely I think).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvBHLTbPHjY#t=31"]See this unique toronado's 2 engines start and run! - YouTube[/ame]

26.jpg

14.jpg

That 403 would have a G-body sucking the doors off your 73...at any speed, standing start to 100+MPH. (Note: a 1973 Olds 455 was a low-compression engine with only 250HP.)

Yeah, the 396 fellers used to say that as well,...Watched more than one of them blow the bottom end out at 110 mph,...And I still wouldn't waste my time or money or a perfectly good 403 on a "G" Body,....I'll stay with the 66 thanks...

Um,...Yea I did,...Did You read the article?...It did say they 403 was pretty rare,..so I say again, Why on Gods currently snow covered earth would I waste any amount of money on a rare motor to put in a car that looks like any other mid 80's smogmobile?...If I could even find one. As most of them up here in snow and rust country are long gone to the elements or tore up by the circle track folks. And being as we are Hypothetical,...I dare say a real 73 442 is prolly worth more an 87 wannabee 442,...And the 73 was stock, built that way from Generous Motors.

For the right amount of money a 403 in a chevette would lay waste to anything built in the mid 70's, How fast do ya wanna spend??? For the record I would out a 403 in a 73 tho,...I'll take the 66 thanx,...(Thats a statement/opinion)

Howdaya tell an Olds from'a Montay from'a Bluck?

Answer:

Nobody cares and nobody wants to

I believe you mean

"How do you tell a Oldsmobile from a Monte Carlo from a Buick"

I also had to read it a couple of times before I got it.

Back to the question. I would choose the 66 . I think it would bring more on resale when I sold it . I wouldn't keep either

Still front wheel drive. Polish that terd all you want...it still stinks. Wrong wheel drive sucks. It sucked then, it sucks now, and it will suck forever.

I'm not a FWD advocate, either, however this was a different animal, completely from the over compromised transverse engine, econo-rig that followed, and was copied by every manufacturer on the planet.

Whether you appreciate the differences or not, these were quality pieces, in creature comforts, performance, and quality.

Push comes to shove.....I'd take the 87' also.

Now if the Toro' choice was a 70'GT W34 car.....I wouldn't hesitate one second. :D

Found my 70'GT.....Now, if my Nigerian check would just show up in time. :D
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-Toronado-GT-W34-COUPE-60K-MILES-RARE-SPECIAL-HIGH-HORSEPWR-MODEL-1970-Oldsmobile-/141177228574?forcerrptr=true&hash=item20ded18d1e&item=141177228574&pt=US_Cars_Trucks"]RARE Special High Horsepwr Model 1970 Oldsmobile Toronadogt W34 Coupe 60K Miles | eBay[/ame]

Attachments

• 70toronadogtgreen2003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 80
I wouldn't hesitate to take the '66 of these choices. I've always liked those. But that said, I've always liked the '80s Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Regal T-Type/GN/GNX, etc., but that's relative to other GM's of course.

In the first post there is a 1966 Toronado and a later piece of crap for choices...
There is no choice but the Toronado. Those that have never drove one have no clue what they are like.

In my own personal experience, I owned an 87 Olds 442 for five months starting in July 1994. I was going to US Navy A-school in Millington, TN at the time. When I first got it I was so in love with it (I was 18. Give me a break!) that I overlooked obvious things that today would have my alarm bells ringing. I finally realized after five months that it just wasn't practical and I traded it in on the truck that I still use as my DD today. Looking back now, I realize that the car was anemic and lacked anything remotely resembling a "true" muscle car. But it was still damn fun to drive!

In the first post there is a 1966 Toronado and a later piece of crap for choices...
There is no choice but the Toronado. Those that have never drove one have no clue what they are like.

Still wrong wheel drive. No more need be said.

-
Back