EZ A body V8 Swap?

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello,

I am likely going to be building a budget pre 73 A body with a V8. The car currently has a /6 and an automatic and is complete.

I have parted several 73-76 A body's and a few trucks etc. I have most all of the linkage etc. from all of them.

I also have a 72 v8 with manifolds etc. that came out of a dart.

I would like to use what parts I have on hand to get it together as cheaply as possible.

The end goal is a DD type car that is as efficient as possible while still getting good MPG. Not a racer, just a fun car that won't eat me out of house and home. My diesel is good on fuel, but it is close to $4 a gallon I would like to get a car that can pull low 20's for MPG.

Here are my questions:

1. The /6 904 and my 85 Diplomat 904 LU are the same length, correct? Same mounts and same yoke?

2. Will the 72 /6 shift linkage work on the 318 /904 combo?

3. Will my 73 and up 318 A body throttle cable work?

4. Lastly, I have a new radiator out of a 79 Volare with a 318. Will that likely fit?

Thank you for any direction you can give. This isn't a rocket science build I realize. However, I have never touched a pre-73 A body.

ROB

I would check out the big block dart site if you haven't already.

it should be a real easy swap , if you have lots of parts then just go for it! pull the /6 and set the v8 in to see what you have, and go from there i think the /6 and v8 tranny's have different bell housings set them side by side when you pull out the 6...good luck and you'll probably get the same or better gas millage with the 8...:rock:

Don't let these answers demotivate you, no don't leave the slant six in if that's not what you want and no don't go to another site, this site has all the answers you're looking for. You're not even putting/asking anything about a bigblock why would he recommend that site LOL.

The shift linkage should work since it's the same transmission I would guess, I'll be doing the same swap and leaving that as is.

The rest I don't know and will leave it for others to answer.

However I do recommend just buying the /6 to 318 mounts, drop it, wire it, put an exhaust, and go! XD

If the Schumacher or should I say "schtoomuchters" are too expensive for you then the transdapt ones are worth a try. Make sure they work with 73's though, or fabricate your own using the stock 318 mounts.

Thank you. I am not easily swayed. My deal is this. I have a couple of Jeeps that get low teens, an older Cummins that gets 20ish mpg. I live 20 miles from work and 50 miles from town. Oh, and my 440 Dart Sport which I would guess is a low-teens car at best. I have driven old stuff my whole life and I am used to it.

I'd like to drive a car again. I haven't driven one with any regularity since about 2000 or so.

I have the car, and boxes of just "mopar stuff" from all the other cars. I have sold off all of my project cars but one. I'd kinda like to use what I have.

I think the mounts shouldn't be a problem. I have a pair off of a v8 71 dart, and some van/truck mounts on hand. Worst case scenario I will get the TD mounts.

I will get the engine in and then just sit down with the boxes of mounts etc. and make things work.

Any ideas on the radiator and 904 LU driveshaft scene? I think they are the same.

At this time, I just want to swap the engine and transmission in there.

I am a member of Moparts as well, and many have read the HotRod Dave post on getting 29 MPG out of an A body. For my purposes I am leaning that way, but not going that far probably.

ROB

One more quick question.

Do I need to switch the steering center link in order to make this work? Or can I use the existing one on my 72? It has a /6 in it.

ROB

#1 Yes. The '85 transmission is probably a lockup convertor type however.
#2 Yes
#3 Yes
#4 Not without modification.
You'll need a V8 K-member or conversion mounts.
The center link is the same....6 or 8

OK that helps. I have most mounts on hand.

For now, I need to run the stock K frame / suspension and axle. I know there are shortcomings. I just want to get it on the road, and if that means no large smoky burnouts so be it.

Eventually all of those things will come too.

Thank you for the input.

ROB

-
Back