EZ Wiring questions

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I have some questions for the people that have installed a EZ Wire Harness. Im unclear of what some of the wires do and how you wired certain parts. So with that being said let me start. I'll list them out with the wire # and how its labeled then my question

#45 Tachometer, is that the same as the coil negative wire?
#47 fan fan, is this for electric fans?
#44 Alt Excitor, Is this used at all?
#32 Ignition switch start, Im assuming this goes to the starter relay
#52 Solenoid Power, This is a 10ga wire, I assume this is the main power for the whole system??

As for the Alternator and the 2 field wire terminals, I see that they run to the voltage regulator and split off to the ballast resistor on one of the wires. But here is the thing, I eliminated the resistor because I swapped to HEI. So Im assuming I need to run it somewhere, but where? I used the pic below as reference.

View attachment Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

Im disappointed with how basic the manual is compared to the Painless harness Ive installed in the past. At least with that it broke down almost every wire that you needed and what it was used for. So I figure I would throw this up on here first to see if I could get some answers. Thanks everyone

I have some questions for the people that have installed a EZ Wire Harness. Im unclear of what some of the wires do and how you wired certain parts. So with that being said let me start. I'll list them out with the wire # and how its labeled then my question

#52 Solenoid Power, This is a 10ga wire, I assume this is the main power for the whole system??

As for the Alternator and the 2 field wire terminals, I see that they run to the voltage regulator and split off to the ballast resistor on one of the wires. But here is the thing, I eliminated the resistor because I swapped to HEI. So Im assuming I need to run it somewhere, but where? I used the pic below as reference.

View attachment 1714715421

Im disappointed with how basic the manual is compared to the Painless harness Ive installed in the past. At least with that it broke down almost every wire that you needed and what it was used for. So I figure I would throw this up on here first to see if I could get some answers. Thanks everyone
call and ask for Sean at E Z WIRING !

The tach wire is essentially "open ended" That is you wire it to the tach inside the car. You will have to wire it according to what ignition you have. In other words Mopar ECU, points or GM HEI will be coil NEG. MSD will be "something else" again

Fan.......not sure

The diagram I have does not have wire numbers, but does have "names" and colors. "Ig sw start" shows as purple -- a GM color--does indeed go to the start terminal of the starter relay

I would say the no10 is indeed main power feed into the interior.

You have a link? to the destructions? Seems to me I was unable to find them on their website some time ago

This is my complaint with several of these over-priced wiring outfits.......really poor documentation, especially as regards to Mopars.

The alt white exciter I believe is essentially the same as "switched ignition" Refer to the destructions regarding the specific alternator / regulator you are using

I didn't use the tach, fan, or alt excitor in mine, but I'm not using Mopar ignition either and I'm going to use a one wire alternator. But the ignition start switch does go to your starter relay and the end of your solenoid power also goes to your relay, but with the fusible link installed between the power wire and the relay. It shows that in one of the diagrams in the booklet that comes with the kit. But for anything else, call EZ. They are very helpful if you can get them on the phone. I called them a couple times myself on these very questions.

Run the wire that was supposed to go to the ballast straight to your coil for power. (just skip the ballast in the line)
The HEI coils need that full 12 volts.

call and ask for Sean at E Z WIRING !

This I did, Sean really knows these harnesses and helped me with a few other questions I had. Although it took me half a day to get a hold of him it was worth it.

The tach wire is essentially "open ended" That is you wire it to the tach inside the car. You will have to wire it according to what ignition you have. In other words Mopar ECU, points or GM HEI will be coil NEG. MSD will be "something else" again

Fan.......not sure

The diagram I have does not have wire numbers, but does have "names" and colors. "Ig sw start" shows as purple -- a GM color--does indeed go to the start terminal of the starter relay

I would say the no10 is indeed main power feed into the interior.

You have a link? to the destructions? Seems to me I was unable to find them on their website some time ago

This is my complaint with several of these over-priced wiring outfits.......really poor documentation, especially as regards to Mopars.

The alt white exciter I believe is essentially the same as "switched ignition" Refer to the destructions regarding the specific alternator / regulator you are using

Del, you are correct on the Tach wire, in my situation it is the coil Neg.

The fan fan wire is for electric fans, since Im running thru a relay the other end of that wire, which is labeled the same under the dash gets connected to Fan Power wire to now make the wire a Hot wire in the engine bay and is used to power up the relay. Im not totally sure about this way of wiring since the relay I had came pre-wired and has a 12 ga power wire that says should get connected to the battery power. The Fan Fan wire is a 14-16 gauge wire.

As for the Purple Ignition Switch wire, yes that goes to the start relay.

The 10ga wire is indeed the main power wire and must be used with a fusable link, I asked Sean about installing a Maxi fuse inline and he told me not to do that.

The Alt Excitor wire is one of the wires that goes to the voltage regulator. He did say that there was a good diagram in the manual that I should follow. I have to check but I dont recall that diagram.. Of course I dont recall a lot of things.

I dont have a link to any instructions, just the install book, which is somewhat vague. It was nice though to be able to talk to someone on the phone that knew exactly what to do and didnt hesitate and sound unsure of themselves

I didn't use the tach, fan, or alt excitor in mine, but I'm not using Mopar ignition either and I'm going to use a one wire alternator. But the ignition start switch does go to your starter relay and the end of your solenoid power also goes to your relay, but with the fusible link installed between the power wire and the relay. It shows that in one of the diagrams in the booklet that comes with the kit. But for anything else, call EZ. They are very helpful if you can get them on the phone. I called them a couple times myself on these very questions.

I appreciate your input Clinteg, Thank you and your right they are only a phone call away!

Run the wire that was supposed to go to the ballast straight to your coil for power. (just skip the ballast in the line)
The HEI coils need that full 12 volts.

Greg, I have printed out that diagram and slid it into one of my manual somewhere. Thanks for your input!

-
Back