F bodies

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So now that the 68 dart is black flagged off the road after the accident, I was forced into a newer car by my parents. However they never said I can't drive an old car as a second vehicle and that's what I'm Fixin to do.

So a local guy I know tells me he has a deal for me. 1978 dodge aspen wagon in really decent shape. The hood needs replaced because it got smashed but no rust anywhere and it's a decent body, just needs a paint job because it still has the original paint.

Its not the wood sided premier or SE, but just the base aspen trim level. I think it was a slant six car.

I can get the wagon with a cast crank 440 /727 (440 is already in the car but needs plumbed and hooked up) so it's NOT currently running. The wagon plus a 4 door volare of the same year as a parts car, and a 400/727. ALL for $1100.

I had a 2 door 76 aspen about 12 years ago and when I tried selling it, I couldn't even give it away. People acted like F bodies were a disease back then.

Is anyone on here knowledgeable on f bodies and is it a waste of time and money still or has the aftermarket become more kind in the "20s"

Are parts like window seals available??

Just looking for input from those with current, real world experience with F bodies, is it a deal or something I should run from??

FABAA485-B62B-48AE-9FA4-72C75CB15B7F.gif

F bodies are cool. Park the pos and drive the wagon.

No help on the F body part, but offer him $800 and trash talk the cast crank motors and how you're gonna have to buy forged cranks, etc. I liked your "Fixin to do" comment! You'd fit right in down here in the South. :)

Inspect carefully. F-bodies were guilty of rusting through subframes while still on dealer lots. Recalls abound.

That’ll make a nice sleeper.
I was thinking tow rig. Not sure how much tongue weight it can handle but I'm hoping at least a car dolly with an A body on it.

It has a narrowed 9.25 from a 77 new Yorker that was also the same car that donated the 440/727

I was thinking tow rig. Not sure how much tongue weight it can handle but I'm hoping at least a car dolly with an A body on it.

It has a narrowed 9.25 from a 77 new Yorker that was also the same car that donated the 440/727
Very cool, good idea.

Unless that thing is a rust bucket, I’d snatch that thing up so fast my shorts would have to catch the next plane.

There were a couple of ***-Burn/Vole-Heartache Draggin'-Wagons in Our area, one created by My neighbor, 360-4spd-8.75 job. Cool. That sounds like a helluva deal, I never worry about "what it's worth", 'cause I get what interests Me. I think the market is better than it used to be, a good look at the usual rust danger zones as mentioned, but I'd do it if I were in the market.

I like the Aspen/Volare line. I would have bought them up and "restored" several if not for the oppressive California emission laws.
Every car built in the 1976 and later model year has to be tested here. This means I'd be limited to the bullshit single exhaust and 3 catalytic converters.
I like the styling of the cars. Their brakes were great, V8s fit great, header clearance too if you want to go that way.

I had an aspen for a time. it was a super 6 with a 904. nice driving, comfortable car. I upgraded the rear end, t-bars and brakes as I found better HD parts in the yard. it was originally a NJ car so the lower 1/4's were beginning to go, but it was a fun kick around car.

a guy saw me driving it and asked if I wanted a wagon: "same as that thing" and that's how I traded a broken weed whacker for a Volare wagon! it was a base model but it had a V8 and a OD 4spd. I did all the junk yard upgrades to that one as well and eventually built up a 360 4bbl for it. was a super fun car.

it had a trailer hitch and I'd tow a small pop up camper. I'm sure one could handle a tow dolly and an A-body. I wouldn't be looking to make some epic road trip or tow in the mountains. but relatively flat or around town I think it would do just fine. my only concern would be brakes, but if you upgraded to the big cop rotors and good pads it should be okay.

anyway, I'd totally pick up both of those in a heartbeat! good luck!

Check the front suspension "rubber" bushings. They do go bad. When I did them on my 88 Dippy, they were hard to find. Might be different, now.

I had an F body. 78 Aspen. No complaints. Plastic timing gear jumped timing, but that was it. Git it.

I had one of the Volare Road Runners back in the day...just 318 car but, it drove nice, stopped awesome and, the A/C would freeze ya out. I would love to have another but, it would be a Super Coupe next time. I say go for it!!

I had a 77 Aspen SE wagon, 318/904 a long time ago. It was actually a good car, ran and drove really well. Can't help on the aftermarket support as I have no idea, maybe GTXJohn can, he has one as a race car.

Just looking for input from those with current, real world experience with F bodies, is it a deal or something I should run from??

Check with the folks on For FMJ Bodies Only. I parted out a 78 Volare a while ago, and those folks were quite helpful during the process. Lots of passion for those body styles and tons of knowledge.

I have this , i have it for sale .. had lots of calls, thought it was sold for while but, guy turned out to be a liar .. lol

aspen79.jpg

I like the Aspen/Volare line. I would have bought them up and "restored" several if not for the oppressive California emission laws.
Every car built in the 1976 and later model year has to be tested here. This means I'd be limited to the bullshit single exhaust and 3 catalytic converters.
I like the styling of the cars. Their brakes were great, V8s fit great, header clearance too if you want to go that way.
They actually offered dual exhaust...but it joined to a single pipe in BACK, for gas tank clearance.
Check the front suspension "rubber" bushings. They do go bad. When I did them on my 88 Dippy, they were hard to find. Might be different, now.
I think PST offers them.

Note: ALL F-body T-bars are the same. There are NO aftermarket bars available.

I admit I fast forwarded to here.

Most of the activity in F bodies seems to be in the East like Pa., Oh. etc. and way East Coast, a great group of Mopar enthusiasts.

But this is Texas and chevy truck land.

I got interested in F bodies about 3-4 year ago. I bought a rust free 79 Volare coupe runner, slant car for $1100. Cheap but he could not sell it. Drove it about a year repainted it to give it a color change, but put on new tires and got rid of the God awful 18 wheels. I changed out the bench to buckets. It took me a solid year to find a buyer for it for $3000. Really nice car that needed nothing. The kid had it a week and burned up the trans. Go figure.

Then I bought a running driving 76 RoadRunner, 318, console auto, But rusty and replaced the floors and some other metal, did the paint, new windshield, tires, etc. New carb etc. added the correct decals ($400 odd). I gave $1000 for it. I drove it about a year and loved it but hated the ORANGE. It took a year to get $3500 for it. It went 1000 mi. away to Fl. Nice car, the seats were showing some wear.

I also had bought a 77 Volare wagon. Complete car. 318, NO rust complete but not running. I bought it for the perfect grill. Swapped that out to the RR.
Gave $500 for it. The guy had it many years, he could not find a buyer but me. The gill was worth $4-500. I could not give it away. Plenty of guys back East wanted all my Volares but no one wanted to pay shipping. I finally traded it even up for a really good 64 MOOR DOOR Belvedere runner. He was 2 states away and we meet half way for the trade. Can't give it away either!!!!

Sorry for all the stories. You know well as I do F bodies aren't HOT property unless a perfet SuperCoupe. They might be getting a little more in demand as the age of the classic car buyer gets where some relate to stuff out of the 70s,80s "somewhat"> But... They ride nice, cool to me.

I have no idea about soft parts availability.
NO sheet metal. Used parts traded among the F body enthusiasts.
If the engine is good I would say a decent deal IF the grill is good!!! but I bet all of the F cars are still a tuff sale when you want it gone.

It took me a year to sell my 64 Ply Savoy project. All body/paint done, and most of the interior, etc. Everyone always says: Wish you were closer, wish I had the money, will you take a trade, will you sell it for $1000 and deliver it to N.J.!!!!

That's true. F-bodies just don't have much value right now BUT, they are a good way to get into the front engine V8 with a rear drive scene with a Mopar since damn near any power plant from Chrysler will fit into them.

Greg

I admit I fast forwarded to here.

Most of the activity in F bodies seems to be in the East like Pa., Oh. etc. and way East Coast, a great group of Mopar enthusiasts.

But this is Texas and chevy truck land.

I got interested in F bodies about 3-4 year ago. I bought a rust free 79 Volare coupe runner, slant car for $1100. Cheap but he could not sell it. Drove it about a year repainted it to give it a color change, but put on new tires and got rid of the God awful 18 wheels. I changed out the bench to buckets. It took me a solid year to find a buyer for it for $3000. Really nice car that needed nothing. The kid had it a week and burned up the trans. Go figure.

Then I bought a running driving 76 RoadRunner, 318, console auto, But rusty and replaced the floors and some other metal, did the paint, new windshield, tires, etc. New carb etc. added the correct decals ($400 odd). I gave $1000 for it. I drove it about a year and loved it but hated the ORANGE. It took a year to get $3500 for it. It went 1000 mi. away to Fl. Nice car, the seats were showing some wear.

I also had bought a 77 Volare wagon. Complete car. 318, NO rust complete but not running. I bought it for the perfect grill. Swapped that out to the RR.
Gave $500 for it. The guy had it many years, he could not find a buyer but me. The gill was worth $4-500. I could not give it away. Plenty of guys back East wanted all my Volares but no one wanted to pay shipping. I finally traded it even up for a really good 64 MOOR DOOR Belvedere runner. He was 2 states away and we meet half way for the trade. Can't give it away either!!!!

Sorry for all the stories. You know well as I do F bodies aren't HOT property unless a perfet SuperCoupe. They might be getting a little more in demand as the age of the classic car buyer gets where some relate to stuff out of the 70s,80s "somewhat"> But... They ride nice, cool to me.

I have no idea about soft parts availability.
NO sheet metal. Used parts traded among the F body enthusiasts.
If the engine is good I would say a decent deal IF the grill is good!!! but I bet all of the F cars are still a tuff sale when you want it gone.

It took me a year to sell my 64 Ply Savoy project. All body/paint done, and most of the interior, etc. Everyone always says: Wish you were closer, wish I had the money, will you take a trade, will you sell it for $1000 and deliver it to N.J.!!!!

I remember when you had a couple on here for sale. I really wanted one of them, but way to far to travel. And honestly, I don't need another car.

I miss my Super Coupe. In the end it was probably too rusty to save, but still wish I hadn't sold it. Someone had pulled the flairs off it and mudded over the holes without fixing the inner fenders so the quarters were rotted out in front and behind the wheels. Even the firewall was rusty. Had a 318 in it when I got it, put a 360 4bbl in it and drove that thing all over the PNW. Really was a great car.

My opinion is most ALL project cars are overpriced. But good project cars of any flavor are getting harder to find. Most what is out there is partially parted out junk. But who wants to give $3-4-5000 for a poor project, spend umteen thousand $$$$ and you do ALL the work, and have a driver worth $5000 when all aid and done.
In the last few weeks I have seen a couple of Duster projects priced fair for what they are, but 2 states away and sell quick. The junk takes for ever to sell if ever.

I agree the F bodies are great cars to get into on the cheap, and yes all engines will go in easily. I see the F body as the last of the 2 door Mopars that can be built on the cheap, take any BB, drive and stop good, look cool too.

Dual exhausts can be done by movingthe gas tankover.
The rubber insolators can be dithed foraftermarket metal ones.
There are a couple of very active FMjbody sites on the much hated FaceBook. But grat guys for tlk and used parts and knowledge. I miss that RR I did. Come to think, I got $4500 whopping dollars. It probably would have sold in a week back east for $7-8000.

There are the guys back in Oh. and around there that have parted out dozens of them...because the frame rots out and it is too much work to build one like that. Fenders and hoods rusted bad in the 76-7 cars. They will build something like a T top SuperCoupe though.

I have not seen a decent F body project around Tx in qute a while. If cheap enough, it is in poor shape and nothing special. I see cheap ones in Ok and Mo. occasionally.

Actually, there are ways to get more power. ANY engine swap is legal as long as it is the same year as the vehicle or newer. That means a '76 could get a '76 440. It also has to pass smog for a '76 440. Whether any of those had dual exhaust is unknown to me...but there were 360 cars with dual exhaust ('79 300, Lil Red Express). True duals???

I also like the F-body styling, but won't ever buy one as our stable is full.

-
Back