F#%k Me!

-
A 4bbl 318 is the answer to the question nobody asked.
In 1968-69, the years of the Hurst Hemi Super Stocks are 440 M Code cars, there were six other engines available on Darts. That was probably too many as the big blocks went away for 1970. Yes, the 318s outsold the 340. So they should spend money engineering a new 4bbl 318 to make less money on each than a 340? Day one of business school they teach don't cut your own throat, which is exactly what the 318 4bbl would have done. I mean we're talking about adding an 8th engine to the entry level lineup of economy cars to lower revenue.
I was only talking about the 1970 - 1974 A bodies, if you check the engine line up, there was only 4 from '70 - '74, a 6 cylinder, 318, 340, 360. Ford offered 3 different versions of the 351 alone. 3 or 4 versions of the 302. I think that if mopar had a 4 barrel 318 with the 340 cam that their share of the performance market may have been better.

I was only talking about the 1970 - 1974 A bodies, if you check the engine line up, there was only 4 from '70 - '74, a 6 cylinder, 318, 340, 360. Ford offered 3 different versions of the 351 alone. 3 or 4 versions of the 302. I think that if mopar had a 4 barrel 318 with the 340 cam that their share of the performance market may have been better.
You're not making a valid comparison. Ford's A-Body equivalent product in the compact class 1970-1974 was the Maverick. In 1970, it was only available with six cylinder engines. The 302 was added for '71, but that was it. If you wanted more performance you had to step up to the midsize. That's where the 351s lived.
I'm done beating this dead horse.

You're not making a valid comparison. Ford's A-Body equivalent product in the compact class 1970-1974 was the Maverick. In 1970, it was only available with six cylinder engines. The 302 was added for '71, but that was it. If you wanted more performance you had to step up to the midsize. That's where the 351s lived.
I'm done beating this dead horse.

As much as this guy post about stuff like this he could be working a part-time job and joining the club.....

It's no secret that if you want to own a really nice Penestar it's gonna cost you. It's not rocket science in the automotive world....

JW

Pretty sure I had a 1970 Chevy truck with a 327 .
I had about a 70 1/2 T. chevy with 4 speed about 74 after that drunk hit me head on in my pickup. Not sure what the rear axle as but it was a pulling little rascal. It was a fadded orange (hemi orange??! LOL).....

As much as this guy post about stuff like this he could be working a part-time job and joining the club.....

It's no secret that if you want to own a really nice Penestar it's gonna cost you. It's not rocket science in the automotive world....

JW
The A bodies in my opinion are way over priced. A basic 318 duster is almost 30k

I'll just leave it rest, but no matter what, mopar should've offered a better line up of engines to choose from, 3 V8's and only one being a performance engine. Again I'm talking about the 1970 - 1974 A bodies only.

Last edited:
:mad:I agree with all of you guys. Just kinda hurts when ya look at the cheap ford and Chevy parts. Love my car, but I’d love it if it was a bit easier on my wallet
More cars for the aftermarket to support.
I hate paying Mopar part prices, I hate paying dodge 2500 Cummins part prices too.
I'm lucky for 1 car, my dart. I'm putting a red kirkey seat in it and the rest will be paint...no interior for a racecar lol

More cars for the aftermarket to support.
I hate paying Mopar part prices, I hate paying dodge 2500 Cummins part prices too.
I'm lucky for 1 car, my dart. I'm putting a red kirkey seat in it and the rest will be paint...no interior for a racecar lol
I remember paying $600 for the door panels for the 1973 dart swinger that I had back in 2004. Mopars for some reason have never been popular

I remember paying $600 for the door panels for the 1973 dart swinger that I had back in 2004. Mopars for some reason have never been popular
Yeah exactly, I remember getting a year one catalog back in the late 90's and was shocked.
I just said f that. 2 things I bought was a woodgrain kit and t handle shifter for my charger and it was a rip off and took 3 months to get it.

Yeah exactly, I remember getting a year one catalog back in the late 90's and was shocked.
I just said f that. 2 things I bought was a woodgrain kit and t handle shifter for my charger and it was a rip off and took 3 months to get it.
It took them like 5 months for my door panels and that was in 2004. The holes for the door panel clips were in the wrong place so the interior shop had to correct that and the panels fell apart in 6 months

The A bodies in my opinion are way over priced. A basic 318 duster is almost 30k
I can’t agree with that for a minute. You can see my car. It was a very straight car with zero rust. I’ve put $3K into all new interior, and have about 15K in posi 3:73 rear end, Billet stainless bulletproof 727, and a 408 Stroker. It will be a brand new car when done. Well worth over $30K. And absolutely beautiful. I would have had a better return on a Chevy, but it’s true, their parts aren’t as good. I got all Coachman parts and my interior parts came from Dante’s. I’m gonna be buried in my car, so I’m ok with it. Just really would be nice if I could have dropped a 408 in it for $1500 as if it was an LS

I can’t agree with that for a minute. You can see my car. It was a very straight car with zero rust. I’ve put $3K into all new interior, and have about 15K in posi 3:73 rear end, Billet stainless bulletproof 727, and a 408 Stroker. It will be a brand new car when done. Well worth over $30K. And absolutely beautiful. I would have had a better return on a Chevy, but it’s true, their parts aren’t as good. I got all Coachman parts and my interior parts came from Dante’s. I’m gonna be buried in my car, so I’m ok with it. Just really would be nice if I could have dropped a 408 in it for $1500 as if it was an LS
If you put 15k into a 3.73 posi set up I say that you got took for sure. I priced new 3.55 gear set and the gears were less than $300

If I remember correctly I was quoted a price of $2,500 for new gears, sg, axle bearings, seals and brake work

If you put 15k into a 3.73 posi set up I say that you got took for sure. I priced new 3.55 gear set and the gears were less than $300
No, 15K is about what I’ve paid for my 8 3/4 rear end, 489 housing, 3:73 gears with Posi, hand made billet 727 trans and 408 Stroker. My parts are all built by the best builders in San Diego. All master builders from the Dirt Track era out here. I’m lucky to have them

No, 15K is about what I’ve paid for my 8 3/4 rear end, 489 housing, 3:73 gears, hand made billet 727 trans and 408 Stroker. My parts are all built by the best builders in San Diego. All master builders from the Dirt Track era out here. I’m lucky to have them
15k for the 8 3/4, transmission, engine.

This might almost be a different thread, but it’s really hard to find guys who even know how to work on old Mopars. I’ve had a few old cars that I’ve had to rely on. I’ve worked on Chevys and Fords without much trouble. I had a 65 or 66 Belvedere when I was 17 and I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. My first /

-
Back