F%$king black walnut tree....

-
I have black walnut trees that may be a little over half that size at the back of my property. I don't go under them on a windy day when the nuts are ripe. I had to laugh at just the thought of trying to 'pick' them - that truly would be nuts. But, it got me thinking... You might be able to get most of them off - How 'bout if you tied several ropes up into the tree (when there are no nuts on it) and used them to shake it at your convienience for a 'controlled drop'? Would take some work initially. Otherwise I'd say fire up the chainsaws. Whatever can't be sold for lumber makes good firewood.

i have tried to give them away in boxes, told people to come over and take what they want, and i just cant seem to give them away! lol! i cant just pick them either... the tree has to be close to 100' tall and spans out my entire back yard.

Going back and reading how old the tree is, I think it would be hard to give it away. Trees have a lifespan. I am sure it is well over halfway past it. Anyone else would also know that. I also found this.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7816704_rid-black-walnut-trees.html

Seems Black Walnut trees poison the ground. I never knew that before. It tells in depth just how to kill it. You have to kill the roots too.

I had a few trees moved at work about 15 years ago. They were twigs compared to what you are describing and cost a few $K for the job. If it is even possible to move(which I doubt) I think you could get the house moved for less. LOL

Also, about the poison - I wouldn't worry about too much about the roots unless you want to plant something soon after. However, be careful what you do with the wood chips from branches. They will kill some plants if you use them as mulch. Been there- done that. OOps!

...one of the gun companies will probably pay a premium for a tree like that.
i have carved a few gun stocks and black walnut can be very beautiful.
The best idea yet:D
I have heard that Smith/Wesson pay well for good trees:cheers:

If I lived near you, I'd cut it myself and put it all in kiln stock.

That tree has got to be worth 10K in hardwood alone. Lots of people use black walnut in modern high end furniture.

Something you might consider advertising on craigs.

Ducter is right. It's worth money. Know a guy in CA that makes a living selling his family's mature orchard. Stump can be worth thousands.

If I lived near you, I'd cut it myself and put it all in kiln stock.

That tree has got to be worth 10K in hardwood alone. Lots of people use black walnut in modern high end furniture.

Something you might consider advertising on craigs.

i have tried to do that on c.l. but everytime i post it up, the ad gets taken down within hours! all i say is "free black walnut tree. if you are a licensed and insured tree removal company you can have the tree/lumber if you cut it down." i have tried that several times. the tree is in a bad spot in my back yard too. right next to my garage (about 1.5' away).

I'd watch your area for someone doing a similar job. See how they do the job , talk to the homeowner. And, don't take their word for anything on a job like that. I had a large maple removed from over my house a few years ago. I've taken down plenty of trees myself, but this would have taken out my garage if it fell a few degrees off. The first guy I was planning to hire had all the right answers. Till I got his 'proof of insurance' - it said 'janitorial'. He insisted that it covered tree work. I called the ins co and they said they insure him for commercial cleaning, NOT tree work.

i just placed another ad in the "free stuff" section of c.l.. let see how long it stays listed...

Umm.. just looked at your CL add. 45inch diameter x 12ft? Ran that on a log calculator. 7387 lbs. Thats just the trunk,LOL. Hope you have access for some serious equipment.

just wanted to know if there was a way to make a black walnut to NOT produce its walnuts??? i cant afford to get it cut down so i am trying to think of other options... someone gave me copper screws and told me to screw them into the exposed roots and base of the tree but he said it might kill the tree... let me know your ideas and thoughts! thanks!!!!

Water it with bleach....

Its not as rare as you think it is.

As far as the tree goes, why not just pick the walnuts off?

I'm with 1970 Duster, I've got scads of cousins that have it. Except everybody in the family just calls em "bleeders" none of my siblings or I have it as it skips a generation. My dad doesn't have it but a few of his brothers do then their daughters are carriers and the daughters sons can have it.

I do understand your concern though, my cousins have often been rushed to the ER because of a fall or injury that in anyone else wouldn't've been a big deal. Best wishes to you and your family

Get a really ugly female tree and it wont produce any more nuts and if it does they will shrevel up and fall off. Sorry just couldnt resist.. Alot of loggers will pay premium price for black walnut and cherry...You could be sitting on alot of money...Then you could plant some other shade trees that dont have risks or the mess...Bill

-
Back