f6 or f6f loom?

-

dennday67

Reaction score
Has anyone used f6 or f6f nylon braided loom to wire there engine wiring harness?

here is what I orded today.
F6’s unique split, semi-rigid braided construction makes it the ideal solution for situations where ease of installation is of primary importance.
The lateral split allows the tube to open up to accommodate a wide variety of bundling requirements, and the semi-rigid braid configuration simply closes around the entire installation without the need for any additional fasteners (velcro, tape, etc.)
The 10 mil PET braid is lightweight, quiet and flexible. The 25% edge overlap (at nominal diameter) allows coverage around inline plugs, connectors and splices.
F6 will bend to a tight radius without distorting or splitting open and, unlike full rigid tubing, will not impair or affect the flexibility of harnesses. F6 allows for the addition or removal of wires without disassembly.
prod_F6N_banner.jpg

I got it thru a seller on ebay. got 1/2" x 10' and 3/8" x 20' for $25 so if it doesnt turn out okay im not out alot I just dont care for the look of the old split loom thats been done to death.

same stuff. Ive looked at there web site. its made from nylon which I deal with on a daily basis seeing as Im a mechanic in a blown film plant. Nylon has a rather high melt temp at 475 deg but what im worried is they list the constant oper temp at around 250 deg.

The only loom i see summit selling is the kind im tired of seeing. I wanted a little different look. And f6 comes in a large selection of colors. I could have gone plat gray if i wanted to have it a little hidden.

LOL I didnt see that when I was looking on there site under split loom but if you notice they are selling 4ft for $26 plus shipping and I plaid less than $25 for 30 ft. I would consider that price if its the 1400 deg loom but if its the same as what I bought thats a rip off.

LOL I didnt see that when I was looking on there site under split loom but if you notice they are selling 4ft for $26 plus shipping and I plaid less than $25 for 30 ft. I would consider that price if its the 1400 deg loom but if its the same as what I bought thats a rip off.

if you read it that stuff was 2 inch... this is the painless stuff for 23 bucks and i think the summit stuff is like 18...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70901/

I wish they would give more of a description. It looks like the 1400 deg stuff that I've seen local for 1.75 a ft

I like the look of the f6 split braid loom when it comes to pulling one wire out I found placing one zip tie next to the wire really helps.
34yu1q9.jpg

The woven loom is good if you need to slip it over existing connectors since it expands. However, it picks up oil and gunk. The common split loom is similarly hard to clean. If installing new wires and connectors, I prefer smooth PVC sheath, like SPC Tech (digikey or ebay). It is very tough and easy to clean. I have used it in industrial cabling and find it is used on my Mercedes 300D.

dennday67, looks like you are using the GM "external coil" with the original 4-pin HEI module. If you make another HEI system, consider the 8-pin module. It has a cable direct to that coil. You can use the 2nd connector for spark control (optional, Holley ECU or such). The module is found inside a GM "small cap" or "computer" distributor (trucks w/ TBI). Also get the connector to the reluctor pickup.

Thanks for the info. I built that system as slant six Dan described on slantsix.org. I've kicked around the idea of using a gm tbi when I go v8 but haven't decided yet. What you don't see in this pic and was added after was the module wasn't grounded well so I spliced into the ground wire for the spst relay that I have mounted underneath.

Links here have shown 1/4 inch diameter and 2 inch diameter. I might have used a total of 16 inches in 1/4 dia. under my hood. Most of what I used is 3/4 inch and 1 inch. Typical ribbed plastic stuff of course.
Is all of this stuff an open mesh ? OEM uses the open mesh sleeve on power steering hoses and such. I'm not sure what its purpose is. Rub wear protection I guess.
I've got some short cut lengths of that. It isn't split. The local Dayco plant slides it over hoses before ends are crimped on.
The only place I've used a short piece of it is on the stereo harness plug wires where I needed something that would form to flat.

Its nylon a firm of plastic in an assortment of sizes. Its braided but its split like the ribbed loom you have used in the past except it has a 25% overlap.

-
Back