Factory 340 car Identification

-

cascius

Reaction score
I saw a '71 dart on the local craigslist that the guy is advertising as an original 340 car. There are a lot of pieces on the car that stick out to me as what I think is incorrect, and other pieces that look year incorrect. It got me thinking about it and figured I'd ask for my own info more than anything. What are the things that an original 340 car would absolutely have to have to be correct? The one I was looking at didn't have a rally dash, which was one of the first things that stuck out to me. It also had a flat hood and no trim around the grill but I could see those being taken off fairly easily. What else was there? Were hood scoops standard with a 340? Thanks FABO.

the fifth digit in the VIN number will be an H . period. the VIN also appears at the bottom right of the fender tag if it has one

C=/6
G=318
H=340

Was it a '71 dart or a Demon?
Post some pics and a link to the ad would be a great help here.
If it's a '72 Demon, it would not have the rally dash, lots of people get the years wrong in their ads.......

the fifth digit in the VIN number will be an H . period. the VIN also appears at the bottom right of the fender tag if it has one

C=/6
G=318
H=340

I know the VIN codes. I'm looking for physical things that are 340 specific.

Was it a '71 dart or a Demon?
Post some pics and a link to the ad would be a great help here.
If it's a '72 Demon, it would not have the rally dash, lots of people get the years wrong in their ads.......

Here's a link to the ad. It's advertised as a '71 Dart but it throws a lot of flags for me. It has '70 door panels, a '70 rear bumper, a standard dash, and from what I can find the steering wheel pictured was '70 only. I had emailed him before for the VIN. He said he would get it but never heard anything back. In my opinion he's on crack even if the car is an original 340 car but it sure doesn't look like one to me.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3414156824.html

Looking at the pictures its a 1970 model. The dash says its not a 340 car.

you didnt say anything about the dash VIN or any numbers. i was trying to help

Sorry, didn't mean to come off harsh. The guy wouldn't send me the VIN so I was trying to verify it visually. It mainly just peaked my interest so I figured I'd see how a car would have been equipped if it were a factory 340 car. I don't know all the little details, but trying to learn.

It looks like a '70 Swinger that has a 340 in it.
Anyway, he wants too much for it even if it was a real 340 car with all of the changes done to it........

Sorry, didn't mean to come off harsh. The guy wouldn't send me the VIN so I was trying to verify it visually. It mainly just peaked my interest so I figured I'd see how a car would have been equipped if it were a factory 340 car. I don't know all the little details, but trying to learn.

its all good

seriously, for that kind of money you can do way better. the floors are rusty , it has a hacked in cage, and the dude wont give you any VIN number , that thing is an overpriced pile . for that kind of money , i would at least expect carpet. that is crackhead craigslist prices

Attachments

• floorbeas.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 271
Don't worry, I'm not looking at it to buy. My '70 is rock solid. Just need to get the time and money for paint. I was thinking maybe the guy didn't know what he had and went off what he was told until I found another ad where he has a couple early A-body Barracudas that he's parting out. That just makes me think he's either trying to pull something or is just a complete moron an doesn't have a clue.

I'm not sure about this, maybe some of the others can confirm, but every 340 car I've seen had an 8 3/4 diff in it. Maybe some of the early ones had a smaller diff?

The guy wouldn't send me the VIN .

That right there is the largest read flag. He doesn't need to tell you the entire VIN, just the numbers you need to decode it.

Instant deal breaker, for me

The easiest way to tell is look for the factory right side hanger in front of the rear. And there should be a screw sticking through from the inside out holding the piece behind the rear seat. I have seen guys put the hanger in but they always forget the screw. It was an assembly line thing to hold the inner piece until the outer was installed with the three nuts. I saw many clones without the screw but otherwise were complete.

-
Back