factory air conditioning box w/ controls

-

pmjolsness

63 Dart owner
Reaction score
I have a 63 Dart convertible and I have the opportunity to get a factory air conditioning box w/ controls from a 73 Dart. Does anyone know if this can be installed without too much difficulty in the 63 or not? I will eventually want AC in the car and the other options are a knee knocker underdash or a universal unit from someplace like vintage air, which I are good but quite expensive. Any body done this before?

I would look for the dealer installed under dash unit as it is easy to install and hook up. Or a after market under dash unit that was common in that era. I am not sure the 63 dash is deep enough for the later A/C unit

If you are going to try something like that I'd look for something from a car of a year similar to yours. Unfortunately, I don't think there was such a thing for your car. I have a dealer unit (knee knocker) from a slant 6 A Body (64 I think) that's prett much complete that I'd be willing to sell if you're interested.

I think I would look for a factory AC unit from a 65/66 A Body since the 63 under dash area is basically the same as the 65/66. The hardest part to do would be the in-dash control - maybe weld in from a donor dash the A/C control area?. I am adding factory air to my 65 Dart GT convertible - the process is much easier since factory AC was offered in 65 (first year for A Body factory A/C). Might add AC to my 65 Dart wagon but would entail a lot more engine compartment fabrication since I'm planning on a triple Weber set-up for a slant :-D

I have a 63 Dart convertible and I have the opportunity to get a factory air conditioning box w/ controls from a 73 Dart. Does anyone know if this can be installed without too much difficulty in the 63 or not? I will eventually want AC in the car and the other options are a knee knocker underdash or a universal unit from someplace like vintage air, which I are good but quite expensive. Any body done this before?
Don't bother....nothing will work (except compressor) without modification....get a vintage air setup or another brand add-on system.

Much easier to go with an under-dash unit, but they do take up a LOT of space in an early A. Any front-seat passengers will hate it.

Next easiest would probably be the Vintage Air unit. It's been done before in a 64 - basically the same dash and engine bay as your 63 model - and looks like it doesn't need any major changes (at least nothing that can't be done in areasonably well-equipped home garage) - http://www.slantsix.org/articles/vintage-air/Vintage_Air.htm. I think the hardest part would be making the brackets to hold the evaporator unit.

AFAIK, you're in uncharted territory with the later factory unit - if you do decide to go that way, pull out your existing heater, then take a lot of measurements inside the dash - don't forget that the cowl plenum and the windscreen wiper mechanism take up a pretty big chunk of the available space back there. If you need to cut or weld anything, or you need to farm out any of the work, it could easily end up costing more than the Vintage Air unit.

Thought about swapping to a factory air setup for my '65 Dart since a guy in Bakersfield was selling a setup for $100 which I could get my next trip south, but glad I stayed with my after-market unit (dealer installed?).

Main advantage of the factory air is a more compact package in passenger compartment and integrated controls.

Disadvantages:

1. Firewall is different in factory AC cars. You must cut holes for AC tubes and I recall relocate the heater holes.

2. Need dash controls. Factory AC cars had a 5 button climate switch (think, at least my '69 Dart did). On the plus side, replacement 5 button switches are available (rare). I have never seen a new 4 button switch, but I was able to use a new 5 button swich in my Newport (non-factory air) by rewiring the pneumatic and electrical wiring (have drawing I can scan).

3. When you need to replace the heater core, it is much harder on a factory AC car. With an under-dash unit, you just move it out of the way to remove the simpler heater box.

4. The integrated controls are more complicated. An under-dash unit is "stand-alone". It has its own blower, so no need for a hot-water valve. You just don't run the main blower to insure no heating. The expansion valve is built into the under-dash units.

The under-dash unit in my Dart is fairly narrow and doesn't bump a passenger's knee. The unit in my Newport is much wider and though thin, I can't set it tight to the dash and still open the center tray, so it can bump a passenger. However, the bench seat is so wide, they still have plenty of room. Mainly an issue with a center passenger.

Either factory or under-dash, I would install a modern Sanyo compressor. They are small, light, and efficient. A few places sell SB brackets for it. I may make my own. My Dart had a Tecumseh compressor w/ same bolt pattern as my Newport's aluminum York (many Fords), but a massive cast iron body. Chrysler's RV2 is too heavy.

I have a 63 Dart convertible and I have the opportunity to get a factory air conditioning box w/ controls from a 73 Dart. Does anyone know if this can be installed without too much difficulty in the 63 or not?

Definitely not! If you were to cut up the firewall and basically weld up a new one, you could maybe make it fit, kinda.

-
Back