Factory red bellhousing ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I just picked up an 833 with a cast iron bellhousing that is said to have come out of an 1st gen Barracuda 30+ yrs ago.
I noticed that through all the grease and dirt I can glimpse red paint on the bell housing..... I thought all bellhousings came unpainted ?
I will not be using it but am curious.

I just picked up an 833 with a cast iron bellhousing that is said to have come out of an 1st gen Barracuda 30+ yrs ago.
I noticed that through all the grease and dirt I can glimpse red paint on the bell housing..... I thought all bellhousings came unpainted ?
I will not be using it but am curious.
Dang, I never took photos of mine when I took it apart. I believe the iron ones were red like the engine color.

Well I will take a pic after pressure washing it....
I always thought the painted ones in promo pics were just for display.

Will the clutch fork from this work in an aluminum bellhousing ?
Any need for the iron ones ?

Well I will take a pic after pressure washing it....
I always thought the painted ones in promo pics were just for display.

Will the clutch fork from this work in an aluminum bellhousing ?
Any need for the iron ones ?
The clutch fork? That I don't know. If no one has a answer contact Brewers Performance.

Toolman.... you know 67Dart273 dont you ? Is he ok ?
I dont know him personally but always wanted to stop and visit him if I get to northern Id.
Super sharp guy !

Toolman.... you know 67Dart273 dont you ? Is he ok ?
I dont know him personally but always wanted to stop and visit him if I get to northern Id.
Super sharp guy !
He hasn't been on since August of last year. Don't know what he's up to.

Yup the early cast ones were painted red. They used a smaller clutch so to sell you need to find the right guy but there is some need for them still.

Freshly painted
421.JPG
Looks orange in the photos but it is Chrysler Industrial red. Like the finished product.

engine 286.jpg

Last edited:
Mine was Chrysler red, don't believe it was ever altered. I am the second owner.

My 65 slant 6 833 bellhousing still has traces of red paint on it. The clutch fork appears to not have been painted

Once I cleaned all the gunk off my original 64 /6 3 speed manual BH, it was natural cast aluminum in color but had red overspray near the engine block area. This told me that the bell was bolted to the finished engine assembly when the engine was painted. The bell was not completely painted.

So I bead blasted the bell, painted if with Eastwood cast aluminum paint, and oversprayed some red paint as I found it.

The clutch fork was never painted.

As a side note.....with the engine at TDC, there was red overspray on the flywheel where it shot through the opening for the starter. So the starter was not mounted when the engine was painted.

Last edited:
Once I cleaned all the gunk off my original 64 /6 3 speed manual BH, it was natural cast aluminum in color but had red overspray near the engine block area. This told me that the bell was bolted to the finished engine assembly when the engine was painted. The bell was not completely painted.

So I bead blasted the bell, painted if with Eastwood cast aluminum paint, and oversprayed some red paint as I found it.

The clutch fork was never painted.

As a side note.....with the engine at TDC, there was red overspray on the flywheel where if shot through the opening for the starter. So the starter was not mounted when the engine was painted.
Interesting stuff!

Definately all red... wow there was a lot of gunk on it ! Im quite sure its never been apart or painted.
20170130_131150.jpg
20170130_131145.jpg

Here is a picture of the original painted bell housing from my 69 Dart

100_3923.JPG

I took quite a few 64, 65 & 66 Barracudas and Darts apart through the years. All of the bellhousings I remember were completely painted.

To the question about switching from the small to larger aluminum bellhousing:
To convert early A-body 9" bellhousing to 10-1/2" clutch & bellhousing (numbers 2843887, 2892482 and 3515734)
Clutch Fork - use a 1966-UP B/E/1967-69 A BIG BLOCK/1970-4 E/1971-4 B SM/BIG BLOCK 10-7/8" OAL
Clutch fork pivot - from 63-66 small block bellhousings with casting numbers 2463027, 2465523, 2468433.
You will have to modify the Z-bar pivot so it lines up with the frame pivot and modify the later Zbar to fit or purchase the swap parts from Brewers.

-
Back