Factory tank vent gone, now what?

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Last thing I need to figure out for the FITech setup is the vent system. On my 71 Scamp it had the old four corner tank vent system, which is going to be gone completely. I just got that one all figured out, now useless to me.
So the new setup is the FITech with an in tank pump, EFI tank, 3/8 supply and return. There is no vent tube on my factory fill tube but I can add one, I do have a vented gas cap though. I have a rollover vent valve but don't know if I need to use it with a vented gas cap? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The easiest conversion is to get a 1970 Dart filler neck that will have a vent tube.

I'm unsure if the vented cap will vent well enough. I know my 1970 Duster's stock filler tube vent works fine with my EFI. My Aeromotive Phantom kit has the vent hole plugged off on it.

Aaahh thank you goldduster, but you must think I have some idea off what I need, LOL! I'm asking because I don't even know if I need a filler tube vent.

There is no two ways about this........I'd duplicate the 69/ earlier vent system, that is a tube near the top of the fill tube. If you can fab / braze, or know someone who can, since you have to pull the old tube to put a different one in, you can just as well pull it out, modify it, and put it back in LMAO.

When you put this vent together, you want to run the vent tube from your fill neck, "up" as far as you can go against the top of the rear quarter, then double down, and all the way down the outside of the fill tube, just poke through the rubber seal into "below." Originally, this tube dead ended (open) inside the rear frame rail.

In my opinion, if you use a "vented" cap, you are asking for fuel all over the side of the car....at some point. Also, the caps from 71 / later seemed to change every year. And the factory caps for 71--72--73 etc are not truly "vented." They are pressure relief caps, known as "pressure vacuum"

So if the cap is pressure relief, do they still have the same problem?
I have the tube out now and whie looking at it I see down inside some corrosion, so I'm not putting that back in a clean tank. So my choice is to try to get it dipped and rezinced or buy a new one, now at this point I think it easier to buy a replacement with the vent tube already on it. I looked up one for the 70 Dart and did not see a tube on it, then I saw one for 73-76 ABody that had some crazy looking metal tube that looks like it duplicates what your saying 67Dart. At 70 bucks I don't see trying to clean and modify the old one, which year would I be looking for?

-
Back