Family '64 4-door Valiant winter re-do

-

robertob

Reaction score
Well I've had this car for five years now, and my grandma had it for a number of years before that. Her dad (my great grandfather) bought it from a long-gone Plymouth dealer in Van Nuys, CA. It was built in City of Industry at the Chrysler plant there, and until last week had never been out of California. I recently moved to Colorado and since I finished the restoration of our '68 D200 pickup, I am ready to start working on the Valiant again.

It has always been registered and always was a daily driver, and that's what intend to keep it as. It's had two re-upholster jobs (last one in the early 90s) and the interior is decent though a little worn. It's been painted twice, last time in 1996 or so by Maaco, and the paint is definitely showing it's age. The front suspension has been rebuilt a couple of times - last time I added lbp discs, 1.0 torsion bars. It needs a rear axle and rear springs.

The motor has 175,000 original miles and has never been apart. But it is burning a quart every 200 miles so that is where I will begin.

This is more of a 'preservation' than a 'restoration' so here's the plan of attack:

- rebuild motor, use offy dual 1bbl intake, dutra duals, ported head, good cam and more compression. Not really a hot rod but a good, reliable 200hp motor.

- paint engine compartment, reseal firewall (which leaks badly) while motor is out. Replace windshield and door seals and door catwhiskers. Replace rear window seal, trunk seal, etc.

- Fix rust in passenger floor and few tiny holes in cowl and left C-pillar.

- Strip most of the crappy paint down to metal or the original WW1 white paint,

- Fix bodywork, straighten & rechrome bumpers

- repaint using borrowed spray booth. Keep it red since that is how it has been for the last 30 years or so.

Attachments

• valiant.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 446
Here's the truck that I just finished a full off-frame restoration on. After finishing it I am not sure I have the stomach, budget or energy for a full restoration again.

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. The ironic thing is I am a photographer and I don't have a single good picture of the finished truck).

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 440
Rob,got skills.Like the Dutra Dual system idea.Very tasty pickup,never seen one that color.

That is a beautiful sweptline.
I like your plan on the valiant.

Thanks. The sweptline was supposed to be a budget repaint but I got carried away. It is beautiful and gets lots of attention.

I'll try to post some detail shots of the Valiant later.

Some pictures of the rust I need to fix. Pretty minor as these things go, it's mostly 'california rust' from salt air with the exception of the passenger floor, which is from a leaking windshield seal.

Attachments

• IMG_7978.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_7977.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_7972.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_7971.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_7970.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 410
I like the red. Though I have toyed with the idea of a white top like my truck (that was an option for plymouth in 1964).

It has been a few years since I welded so I'm trying to get my skills back with the MIG. So I started with a small project, mounting a Addco swaybar in a way that does not suck. I made brackets and welded them on the k-frame, and tabs for the control arms with gussets. Came out very nice. Also installed the Eddy shocks I've had for a while.

On the engine front, I had one head machined, and then promptly ground into a water passage while I was porting it. So I got another head to the machine shop (an early one, unfortunately), and waiting for it to come back.

I got my Wiseco pistons and K1 rods last week too.

A local Valiant guy is giving me a core motor which means I don't have to pull this one before building it, and I can keep it running a bit longer.

Attachments

• IMG_5544.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_5542.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5541.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_5539.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_5536.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 351
Also I rebuilt all the power steering parts I had been collecting. I doubled up on the reaction springs in the gearbox to improve feel. We'll see how that works. I also found a pump with an adjustable flow valve and pressure regulator. So I should be able to tune the steering any way I want.

Also finished porting head, and built intake.

Attachments

• intakeports.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 335
  • combustionchambers.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 310
So I have been thinking about a door and see you project and it makes me wonder. What is the weight difference in most of the a body or b body four door cars. I sure like slinging my 300 around and would probably have alot of fun in a big block a body four door build. Great build by the way! Keep them all involved. :happy1:

Basically no weight difference. I think the 2dr coupe and verts are a little heavier, and Barracudas are heaviest. Roughly 2800 lbs.

I like to drive mine on vintage road rallies and drive it every day so useability and comfort are more important to me than having the right number of doors. Of course when I was young and single I would not have been caught dead in anything other than a 2dr...

So I have been thinking about a door and see you project and it makes me wonder. What is the weight difference in most of the a body or b body four door cars. I sure like slinging my 300 around and would probably have alot of fun in a big block a body four door build. Great build by the way! Keep them all involved. :happy1:

No secret Im a '64 fan. I dig the 4 door family ride. Looking for one myself.

Love the Offy dual. Great project. Keep the pics rollin.

Yeah Im starting to consider a four door. The cruise factor of the four with more than two is sort of nice. Like the kids are not trapped and can roll down the windows and enjoy the ride. I was considering a 4.7 with it or pentastar even 3.6 with the truck tranny or the 8 speed for the pentastar. Its a once in a lifetime thing me doing this and I want to enjoy it and more important be able to drive to where I take it. Like the dual carbs btw that is awesome I had a slant six back in the day 74 Duster. :burnout:More car !#$% LOL

Finished welding up the floor. The old seam sealer was lifting in a few places and surface rust was starting underneath so I dug it all out. I got rid of the rust with phosphoric acid and hit all the bare spots with Zero Rust. Re-seam sealed with urethane sealer (Fusor 800ez). Once it all cures I will coat the whole thing with a second coat of red oxide ZR just to make it pretty.

Then some butyl sound deadener, new carpet, 3-point seatbelts and firewall seals. Oh yeah and rebuild the wiper pivots and the heater. It never ends...

Attachments

• seamsealer.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 295
Very cool! I'm working on a 64 myself. Great inspiration on the floor. I have to do a lot of that too. Thanks for the reference pics!

Very cool! I'm working on a 64 myself. Great inspiration on the floor. I have to do a lot of that too. Thanks for the reference pics!

I think I saw your site before... Your car is rustier than mine, but it's all the same crap... weld, seal, paint, repeat!

PS I need door panels too - let me know what you find.

Shopping list:

body plug kit
Carpet kit
3-point seat belts front + mounting plates, 2-point rear belts
door seals

-
Back