Family Heirloom Guns Lost!!!

-

rarefish

Reaction score
Long story short, my wifes uncle's house and belongings were sold at auction last weekend. The family had been looking for 3 pistols that were in his house. Some how, at the last minute, the auctioneer found them. I was told he knew we were looking for them. He took them home and sold them on line, not at the sale with the rest of Ernie's things. When my Father in Law called him all he would say is "He had a contract to sell every thing in the house.". So we lost an 1858 Star revolver, an 1870 Colt Single Action Army revolver, and a turn of the century 38 revolver that was the duty weapon of my wifes great grand father, Joe.

Sorry to hear this. Do you have any legal standing to bring this guy to court? It sounds as though you do if he did not sell the guns at auction.

I guess if the family got the $ for them there's not much you can do. It sucks. But... word of mouth of what the auctioneer did can be devistating, especially in a small community.
At my Grandfathers auction, my Grandad's tacklebox came up & sold to the auctioneers shill on the first bid- 5 bucks. I'm still gettin back at the auctioneer for that.
Makes a guy want to burn down their house.

see **** like that makes me mad and if that happened to me that auctioneer would end up missing or at least couple broken legs to get him back in line seriously

I don't want to slam him, I think he did every thing on the up and up. I think he told Ernies wife he'd found them, I'm not sure. It just sucks to lose them. We went out a couple weeks ago to get my 58 Zodiac. My one brother in law went with me to help with the car. He was going through the house with a fine tooth comb. His brother that lives out there started yelling at him to quit tearing up the house, that he wouldn't find any thing, he'd already looked. When he got to the kitchen, and we were eating, his brother started to rip into him good for messing the house up and repeated he'd already checked the kitchen thouroghly. Well, little brother stopped looking and that's where the guns were found, behind the kitchen drawers. I can't blame big brother either because junior was making a mess, and the older brother would be held resposible. Oh Well, Joe.

I would put up flyers on every corner of town telling what he did . I would also put an add in the newspaper , and even try to get the radio stations to tell about it over the waves . It would put a big enough hurt on him that maybe you could get him try and buy them back to save his career . Legal action would be good too , but only if you could proof he did something illegal

If there was a contract I'd look it over good.
If it says he has the right to sell everything in the house at auction
key word AUCTION. He may not have had the right to take them home and sell them on line.
Your family may have a legal foot hold here especially if
if no money was turned over for them.

We are living in some rotten times,I sure don't like it.Hope you recover your item's.

thats like by my house my dad has a 89 jeep wrangler outside and the other week someone stole the battery, cd player, speakers and the half doors off the damn thing

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Heirlooms all have a story and never can be replaced once they're gone.
I have one of my great-great-grandfathers handguns and original holster. He was a member of the first wagon train to reach the Salt Lake valley in Utah. He had a pair of matching cap-and-ball revolvers that were handed down through the generations until they were split between my dad and my uncle. I inherited it from my dad when he passed since I'm the only male heir. My uncle was going to give me his as well so I would have the matching pair, but his house was broken into and it was stolen the weekend before I last saw him (about 20 years ago). He passed shortly after that.
It would have been awesome to have the matching pair, but at least I still have one.

I'd definitely have a smackdown party.

Just one of those things that happen when you get an auction involved because family members can't agree on anything when elder's pass away.

I told both of mt Parent's I don't want anything and to give it all to everyone else, I don't want to be involved in any bs after seeing so many other familys torn up over that crap.

did you get the money for them and even if you did i would say he sold them for a lot more then he told you he got even if he was contracted to sell them he was contracted to sell them with al ther other stuff in my eyes i would say he stoled them and i would see a legel help and see about getting them back

Yes, she got the proceeds, and all of the contact info of the winning bidders. She said she would try and contact them and buy them back. I don't think he was a crook, just shrewd. I think he sold them the way he did so there would not be any conflct over them. With the economy the way it is in the Youngstown area he may have gotten the best money the way he did it. If I'd have been there I would have out bid any one till I had the guns.

As others said, that's what happens when you get a third party involed, Joe.

Yes, she got the proceeds, and all of the contact info of the winning bidders. She said she would try and contact them and buy them back. I don't think he was a crook, just shrewd. I think he sold them the way he did so there would not be any conflct over them. With the economy the way it is in the Youngstown area he may have gotten the best money the way he did it. If I'd have been there I would have out bid any one till I had the guns.

As others said, that's what happens when you get a third party involed, Joe.

Nice that he turned over proceeds and contact info. At least the proceeds can now be used to try to buy them back. Good luck on getting them back.

I'm sure the auctioneer sold them the way he did because he probobly gets a % of the sales. More $ for the firearms means more $ for him.
If it was known that the firearms existed then someone should have stipulated that they were not to be sold in auction atmosphere, maybe bought directly from the estate.

-
Back